Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

zombies! zombies everywhere! in Off-Topic

so in the next few weeks i will have to make a presentation at work on basically whatever i want. my last presentation was about the oncoming robot uprising (specifically what will cause it and what can we do to stop it, real deep questions like that). i ended it by saying "join me next time where i will be discussing my zombie contingency plan". i have a pretty solid idea of what i would do when the zombie apocalypse occurs. short version: loot a bowling alley, get the hell out of the city, follow the train tracks to upstate new york, find a gun store, hold up in one of those swanky upstate mansions where the nearest neighbor is 5 miles away. i was wondering what you all thought and if there are any other zombie (pop)culture fans here.

Posted on February 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM

#
why a bowling alley? That seems random, but not stupid, because you're not a stupid person.

Posted on February 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM

#
I was thinking the same thing, whats with the bowling alley?

Posted on February 15, 2013 at 1:07 AM

#
I think I would first get myself a Uhaul truck, then some gas cannisters, fill them up, and head for a Costco. There, I load a palette of bars of moisturizing soap into the truck, and grab some cans of whatever food, assuming there is availability.

Next stop, ham radio, from any electronics store.

Then I head for safety. I wait a few weeks, paying attention to frequencies for information regarding a rebuilt sanctuary, some place with civilization.

I then move to the sanctuary, bearing a truck, extra fuel, and I'm suddenly the tycoon of soap. My wealth in this respect would allow me to extend my resources and start manufacturing my own soap, perhaps increasing my product offering along the way.

Josh, the wealthy merchant who thought far enough ahead to realize people in the zombie apocalypse will really want soap.

Posted on February 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

#
i love the soap tycoon idea. ALL HAIL JOSH, LORD OF SOAP! my concerns with this plan is: 1) do you really think soap will be that scarce? 2) do you realy think it will only take a few weeks for a zombie apocalypse to be cleared up? 3) will you eat the soap when you run out of food?

as the the bowling alley. my thoughts were that it is a place that now one will think of to loot. and all bowling alleys have four things you will need in this situation: 1) food. 2) booze(for sterilization/numbing pain and fun). 3) shoes. and 4) bowling pins which can be a nice blunt instrument for bashing in heads. also a gun if it is the right bowling alley. though i am skeptical of nyc bowling alleys.

Posted on February 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM

#
I think I'd rather raid a Cabella's or a Bass Pro Sporting Good store. lol They have food, camping gear, clothes, boots, weapons (of all kinds), everything you could possibly need to stay out somewhere remote. The booze tho, thats a must. Thank Goodness I have a Total Wine near by, guess I'd have to raid that too. lol And soap is always good too Josh, you can meet me at my fortified encampment. LOL!

Posted on February 21, 2013 at 5:47 AM

#
I think I've given this less thought than my friends seem to have. I figure I would stay in my house for a while. I have enough dry food for at least a short while while things are absolutely crazy. While I say that though, step 1.5 after realizing what is going on would probably be to go save my friends. I could be wrong, but I'd have to imagine their only chance of short term survival would be to stay inside. Alone, I don't believe they would have a chance of long term survival.

Do we have a general agreement on what the minimum required caliber bullet we need to neutralize a zombie with a head shot is? At the moment, I believe I'm woefully unprepared. I just realized there's a fire station 30 seconds down the road, I wonder if that would be a good place? For some reason it seems like it would be, but I don't have any reason as to why.

Posted on February 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

#
If I could get my hands on a M4 Military class with 300 blackout (30 Cal.) cartridges I would go with that. Those bullets are slightly slower and don't cause a sonic boom, which would also cut down on you being spotted by other zombies. You want a lightweight short rifle, I think .22 to .308 would be good. Lightweight, good scope and lots of ammo. You'll be good. Of course if your in cose contact with a zombie any type of shotgun will do well too! lol
And lets not forget my personal fav the samurai blades and start cutting heads off lol!
Actually now that I think about it, a Military base would be a great place to hide out. Luckily there are a few around me. Lots of ammo, food and shelter!

Posted on February 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM

#
So... a boat, right?

A nice sailing yacht, a fishing pole with some backup line, with cans of stuff... then you head for a desolate uninhabited island where you can become more sustainable.

edited by Joshura on March 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Posted on March 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM

#
A boat is a good idea, harder to run across zombies in the middle of the ocean. As a group of inexperienced sailors we'd probably have a better chance of dying on the sea than from zombies on land though. The plan is also generally only going to be viable for those of us who live quite close to the coast.

Posted on March 8, 2013 at 5:41 AM

#
What about islands within a lake? That's a little easier to do right?

Posted on March 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM

#
I have sailed before, enough so at least that I think I could figure out the basics. I would hope a modern, well-equipped sailboat also includes a "how to sail" manual.

Most of those boats have light motors on board, too, so we can use whatever gas is in there to get far enough away to be safe, then figure out what to do next.

Posted on March 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

#

You must be logged in to post in the forums.