Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Literary recommendations in Off-Topic

First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last
Write about all your favorite books here! Read about books! Ask about books! Books sure are marvellous, aren't they?

Posted on March 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM

#
Oh, Hunger Games is cool!

Go read it and then go watch the movie and then go read the other two books in the series and then you'll be happy =D

Posted on March 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM

#
I'm actually planning to do that, not sure about the order though.

Right now I'm reading The Stand the complete and uncut version by Stephen King. It's very much okay apart from that it focuses very little on surviving which is the part about the post-apocalyptic genre that I like the most.

Before that I read the amazing book All Quiet on the Western Front By Eric Maria Remarque. It's one of the greatest books I've ever read and if I could appreciate food as much as the characters of the book I would be eternally grateful.

Posted on March 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM

#
China Miéville anyone? I haven't actually read nearly enough by him, but I absolutely loved Perdido Street Station and The Scar!! Not to mention he's writing the new Dial H For Hero ongoing, but that belongs in the comics forum. Anyways, if you haven't and you like weird/disturbing/grotesque urban fantasy I highly recommend it. I am usually way more into scifi than fantasy but.. this is some great stuff.

Posted on March 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM

#
Sounds interesting. I might look into that.

Posted on March 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM

#
Oh, Hunger Games is cool!

Go read it and then go watch the movie and then go read the other two books in the series and then you'll be happy =D
I did this, and it made me a nitpicker... Seriously, watching the entire movie I was ashamed to notice a few odd details not shown. Gale, for instance, had three lines. His character is soo downplayed.

Ah well, the books were okay and I won't go into much of a rant but recently I've been rereading Dragon Rider, a book I read waaaaaay back in middle school and have absolutely fell back in love with it.

Posted on March 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM

#
I've been reading quite a few books recommended by my good pal kijou recently, which I will share here at some point after im done reading all of them, but i'll recommend Nation right off the bat.

Written by Terry Pratchett, Nation is an amazing piece of literature...i'd go so far to call it a work of art, which is not a word I use lightly. Without getting to into how I define the word "art" let's just say I use it across a lot of media, but I only truly mean it sparingly. The writing in Nation is art. It paints both beautiful and horrible pictures with the stroke of a sentence. I haven't read NEARLY as much as I would like, but Nation stands as one of the most moving books i've ever read.

I'd also like to suggest I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream if you're into Sci-Fi horror. It's short, it's free, it's good:
http://www.surfturk.com/endoftheworld/ihavenomouth.html

edited by Mashira on March 29, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 2:49 AM

#
Nation isn't Discworld? Interesting!

I've been going through Discworld a bit, catching up on 8 years of never reading. It's pretty great. Particularly Hogfather, Thief of Time... yep.

I also just started reading Hunger Games, though I'm not sure if I'm going to reserve it for my plane trips or not... If Dape says I should watch the movie before finishing the trilogy off... is it still in theaters?

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 3:25 AM

#
Nope, it's very loosely tied to the real world. It has the same humor in the less serious places though, and there are some really good laugh out loud moments in there.

I suggest reading it. It is one of the ten or twelves books that have made me cry.

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 3:30 AM

#
"The Malazan Book of the Fallen" makes for a pretty good read as well, I found. It's a high-magic epic fantasy setting with a large cast of characters.. however, it is also quite full of interconnected complexities and it's really not a happy tale, generally. Still, it's excellent high fantasy I'd recommend!

P.S. Heard many good things about China Miéville myself, suz, though I've not gotten around to reading his stories yet!

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM

#
No time for Goodbye written by Linwood Barclay

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-For-Goodbye-Linwood-Barclay/dp/0752893688

"Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge woke one morning to discover that her entire family–mother, father,brother–had vanished. No note, no trace, no return. Ever. Now, twenty-five years later, she’ll learn the devastating truth.

Sometimes it’s better not to know. . . .
"

This is one of the best thrillers I've ever read... I could seriously not stop reading it from beginning to end.
I give it 8.5/10 :D

Some other great books that's worth a try is Michael Connelly's books about veteran police homicide detective Harry Bosch.

edited by Shanks on April 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM

#
Oh, books. <3

Where to begin? I recommend everyone to read Tom Robin's Jitterbug Perfume. It's an absolutely brilliant piece of literature, and it is naked and unashamed in a way I think most people aren't really used to reading. It's about the beetroot, sex, and perfume. And time travel. Sort of. Anyway, go read it.

Also, of course, Nation, like Mashira said a couple of posts up. I don't think any book has touched me so deeply. I also recommend the entire Discword Series (especially the Watch storyline), Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician series, Lian Hearn's Tales of the Ootori series, John Ajvide Lindquist's Let The Right One In, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series.

I recommend any and all Agatha Christie books for anyone who loves mysteries.

For other language geeks here on the forums, specifically those interested in English and etymology, I recommend one of the funniest linguistics books I've read - I actually laughed out loud (or went "Oh wow seriously!?") in almost every chapter - The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language by Mark Forsyth. His writing style is amazingly funny, and the facts he's managed to dig up are slightly mind blowing. A wealth of information and "did you know that..."'s about the English language.

Posted on April 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM

#
The Hunger Games is a good book, I'm reading it now and I like it.

Posted on May 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

#
When I was reading it, I took the advice "don't read past the first book" very lightly, thinking "Hey, if the first book is good, why wouldn't I like the story of the last two?"

Then, I read the second book. I did not care for it, but I got through, thinking, "okay, at least there's an exciting conclusion to look forward to, I mean, there has to be, with all this build up!"

Then I started the third book, and at a certain point I decided I was tired of the bullshit. I stopped about 30% through, and waited for Suz to finish and tell me what happens. Turns out, the rest of the book gets worse and worse. It's not a matter of romance, or revolution, or even some vague Orwellian themes... it's just bad. Those themes are touched upon, but none are developed well enough by the end to justify the kind of buildup presented in the first book.

You could read the first book, but I think you should probably regard it as a standalone novel, and just assume the best follows the end.

Posted on May 29, 2012 at 7:42 PM

#
Goblin Corps was a book I enjoyed quite a bit. If you're into fantasy I'd definitely recommend it, it's one of the better fantasy books I've read. It follow the tale of a squad of "goblins" as they carry out various missions for a lich looking to take control of the world. It has a very dark humor, and points out a lot of genre tropes. The characters are interesting, and the plot is pretty engaging.

If you like tabletop RPGs I heavily suggest reading Goblin Corps.

Posted on June 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

#
Terry Pratchett just released a new book he co-wrote with Stephen Baxter called "The Long Earth." It's apparently the start of a new series, but I just wonder if anyone has read any other Stephen Baxter books. Is he any good?

Posted on June 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM

#
Currently, I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings. He's the new author of the Wheel of Time series (to finish the series after Robert Jordan's death). I thought his works with WoT was very well done so I'm also reading his books. It is interesting so far. Very high fantasy stuff.

Posted on June 10, 2012 at 11:19 PM

#
I've started to read some H.P. Lovecraft stories. Haven't come across any tentacles yet. Is that odd?

Posted on June 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM

#
Maybe!

My only experience with Lovecraft was a tabletop RPG where we dealt with a blob monster and an axe murdering boatman.

I'm reading American Gods right now, which is really great so far, and next up is Princess Bride. I think I can recommend both of those at this point, knowing 80% of American Gods is great, and that everyone loves the Princess Bride!

Posted on June 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM

#
Finished American Gods - it was good! Ultimately, I'm very satisfied with how it ended. Very tidy, no big loose ends, good! I am interested in what would happen to these characters in the future, though, so I'll likely read the sorta-sequel Anansi Boys.

Princess Bride was rather awesome, too. There's some moments, mostly those where the author narrated, that I was rather disinterested. At some point I actually thought the mythical land where the story is set was a real place, based on how the author addressed it. His intervention into the story under the guise of "abridgement" of an older, grand tale, was really clever, though. Ultimately it served the book quite well, and I really love those characters.

-Side note, the author of that, William Goldman, is also a screenwriter (he did the movie, too). His other really famous work was Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, which is on Netflix. It's a fantastic movie. He does characters very well.

Then I read the first part and a half of Hitchhiker's Guide, which I'm still working through. I'm finding that I don't care as much as I'd like about the continued plot thread.

I'm thus using the various sections as buffer between heavier reads - Lord of the Rings.

If you haven't re-read the Hobbit lately, you'd likely be in for a treat.

Posted on July 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM

#
First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last