Register |
Forgot password?

Board games in Off-Topic

So, I figured a board game thread would be in order, for reccomendations and such.

Most people know just the classics; monopoly, ludo, chess and the like. Most other people (that I know) are introduced to non-classics by the way of Settlers of Catan. While that is a good game, there are better games out there. Also, I'm fed up with Settlers. Here are comments on a few that I like (you might've played them, but if you haven't, go do it):

If you're looking for a good lauch, look no further. The basic game is played with two sets of cards bought in your local game store. There are a myriad of expansions available, and most of them are stand-alone games. The goal is to venture into a dungeon, fight monsters, collect treasure and be the first to reach level 10, while stopping your opponents from doing the same. Most moves are legal, as long as no one contests it within a reasonable ammount of time. About 1.7 seconds is recommended by the game rules.

Cash & Guns.
You and your friends have robbed a bank, and it's time to share the loot and split before the cops arrive. But everyone wants as much as possible, and the point is to scare the others away from the loot with your gun, which might be loaded, or might not. You only have a limited number of bullets, after all.

You have a small estate, and your goal is to have the biggest province by the game's end. At your disposal is a deck (trading card game style) which you build from the different available cards on the table. Every time you cycle through your deck, you mix all the cards you've used together with the ones you've bought, and continue playing with those. A friend of mine checked out strategies on the internet, and ruined it for the rest of us. But don't let that get you down. A few expansions are available, but I haven't tried any of them.

You build your deck, much like in Dominion, but instead of buying resources which in the end lets you buy land, you recruit a gang of adventurers and venture into a cave full of dragons, zombies, demons and ghosts. Logically, the one with the highest kill-count by the end of the game wins.

Smallworld is small. Too small to house all of the races who want to make claim to it. You pick one race, and help them to as much of the board as you can, and when you think the're fated for extinction, you leave them to die and go for the next race. Three expansions that I'm aware of, with more races and no new land. For many players (4, I guess), the expansions are almost required as there aren't many races in the original game.

You control a robot, and want to navigate him through a maze of lasers, conveyor belts and pitfalls, and to be the first one through the course. The thing is, you have to plan five moves at a time. You're given a hand of cards with different moves on them, and you use the 5 you want to use, and hope you haven't miscalculated a conveyor belt, and that none of the other robots push you around.

Posted on March 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Very cool, Munchkin in particular is a fun game!

During family get-togethers, Carcassonne is popular as well, a game in lieu of Settlers of Catan, I'd call it. Though for me personally favorite boardgames are probably dungeon crawlers or more elaborate strategy games like Twilight Imperium!

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I'm more of a Chess man, myself:

edited by Mashira on April 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

What about Apples to Apples? Or Yahtzee? Those are awesome board games! lol

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I've never played either of those. I've never played scrabble either.

I don't play a lot of board games.

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM

GASP! o.o I will find online versions. We must play!

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Heh, sure, i'll give it a shot sometime.

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM

An online Bosskey-Scrabble group would be fun. Boggle? We won't invite Peggy...

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Boggle looks, so so boring.

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I've played it a few times. It can be fun, but it also quickly get's boring. It's one of those games I wouldn't play too much.

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Holy shit, mouse trap, I wanted to play that so bad when I was younger. Every time i'd see it i'd be like "Oh man, I could do the coolest shit ever with that."

Never played it.

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I had it. Set it up once, then decided to just to take the fun pieces and play with them by themselves... Like the actual trap, man my army men had fun with that. Overall it was a crowded game and I'm sure kids did the same as me.

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I just got back from a week on a place with no internet, with 6 other people, and loads of board games. Not a lot of games go up to 7, so some times we split into smaller groups, some times we played something while other people were out swimming in the sea or sailing (there wa a small one-man sail boat there too, a Laser for those in the know).

The most intense one was eclipse. It takes about five hours to complete a game, plus half an hour or so before the game to quickly go over the rules if there are people new to it. Too bad practically the only way to interact with people is attacking them, and then you both take heavy losses and someone else wins. So the winning strategy is being boring and defensive.

Posted on August 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Apples to Apples is literally the funniest game ever. (Hitler or ANne Frank are probably the best cards).

Risk? That's kinda classic.
I love Nuts and Kittens in a Blender. They are card games with their own cards, and it's super fun and funny.

Btw I love my Nintendo Monopoly set.

Posted on August 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

If you like Apples to Apples, then you clearly have not played Cards Against Humanity.

That, and Scrabble, remain the only two board gamey things I really enjoy.

Posted on August 8, 2012 at 11:16 PM

That's funny, I only discovered Cards Against Humanity the day before yesterday and it seems politically incorrect and hilarious. Haven't tried it, though. I have tried Balderdash, which is in the same alley. It's wonderful.

Posted on August 9, 2012 at 7:50 AM

You must be logged in to post in the forums.