Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Space! in Off-Topic

First Previous Page 1 2 3 of 6 Next Last
I love space. Do you love space?
Post news or pictures or anything you find that is interesting, so the other space-heads on Bosskey can immerse in it!
I'll go first by posting some cool Space Channels from youtube, that are not NASA or ESA ;)

http://youtube.com/user/spacelab

http://youtube.com/user/spacerip

http://youtube.com/user/videofromspace

http://www.youtube.com/user/tdarnell

edited by Plato on March 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Posted on March 27, 2012 at 2:35 PM

#
This is, as far as I can tell, the north pole of Saturn. This is a hexagonal storm. Go figure. It's not quite as big as the red spot on Jupiter, but it is in a lot of ways much more intriguing. I mean, it's freaking not anywhere near circular or oval.

mini_saturn-hexagon.jpg

edited by Higure on March 28, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 8:54 AM

#
holy **** that's a cool image. I haven't seen that one before. epic!

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

#
Wow, I didn't even notice this thread until I was perusing the main Forum threads. I too love Space! I enjoy watching the night sky, you might call me a novice Astronomer and Astrophotographer. I haven't posted any of my images yet because well, they suck lol. I just upgraded a few things and will also be purchasing a camera specific for Astrophotography. I just recently purchased a newer, and lot lighter Orion Xt8 Telescope. This particular Telescope allows me to see alittle deeper into space than my previous Reflectors. I will be able to take better images of the planets and some nebulas and galaxies. I also have a pretty darn good Solar filter to see the sun and it's many sun spots and cme eruptions. Some great sites to go to for information on space-what's going on in space and space exploration is:
www.space.com
www.spaceweather.com
www.nasa.com

Spaceweather is the website I go to the most. They have up to date news on whats going on with the sun, meteor showers and also sun spots and recent incoming cme's. A very interesting and informative site.

IMAG0294.jpg
My Orion Xt8-it looks big, cuz well it is, it's about 5ft tall and it weighs about 45lbs. Which is better than my old Xt10, which weighs about 60lbs. I can at least take this one places and it's not too bad to travel with. I'll post images of planets and such once I get that awesome camera. Maybe some high rez videos of Jupiter and it's moons in the coming months.
Does anyone else enjoy looking at the night sky? I love to talk about it!

Posted on April 12, 2012 at 5:39 AM

#
Sadly, I live in an area with massive amounts of light pollution, so it's usually only on really clear nights that I can catch a look at the brighter starts out there. So definitely looking forward to your pictures! :)

Posted on April 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM

#
Hey thanks for all these links guys, I like reading about cool stuff, and that hexagon storm is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Posted on April 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM

#
Wow Sintar! Looking forward to see some pics. I also live in the City, so I can't really immerse myself in this stuff, even if It's all I ever wanted :\
I had a lot of space books and stuff as a kid, and tons of Space lego. Space videogames always intrigued me the most. It's a forgotten passion for me.
I got really into it again lately after looking through a telescope for the first time when i was out in the countryside ^^ I saw jupiter and it was awesome!
keep posting!

Posted on April 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM

#
My Orion Xt8-it looks big, cuz well it is, it's about 5ft tall and it weighs about 45lbs. Which is better than my old Xt10, which weighs about 60lbs. I can at least take this one places and it's not too bad to travel with. I'll post images of planets and such once I get that awesome camera. Maybe some high rez videos of Jupiter and it's moons in the coming months.

I love looking at the night sky, when I'm not in school (which will be over with very soon) I live in a rural area where the view of the stars is great. I'm hoping that after I graduate and work for a bit, I can set some money aside to really delve into my interest of astronomy. I have a friend who is also very keen on astronomy-- she nearly made it her major before she decided to stick to fine arts, but it is awesome having her around because I always have someone to talk to about it.

Posted on April 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM

#
I've been looking at Venus and Jupiter this entire winter. I've never used a telescope though.

Posted on April 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM

#

I love looking at the night sky, when I'm not in school (which will be over with very soon) I live in a rural area where the view of the stars is great. I'm hoping that after I graduate and work for a bit, I can set some money aside to really delve into my interest of astronomy. I have a friend who is also very keen on astronomy-- she nearly made it her major before she decided to stick to fine arts, but it is awesome having her around because I always have someone to talk to about it.

Ive always enjoyed looking at the sky and it wasn't until my husband and I moved near a higher elevation away from the city that I decided I would persue this hobby. And yes it is very expensive. The 2 Telescopes I have are both over $1,000.00 and yet they're still considered beginner-intermediate telescopes. And the lenses and filter go from $30.00-up. Depending on the aperature of your telescope some filters can run you over $200.00. So yes its a very expensive hobby. But I'm old and I've decided that once we purchase our land where we live (thinking of purchasing 10 acres or more) I'm going to build an observatory. We live in a high mountain area so I'm looking forward to purchasing some land with a least a couple hilly mountain sides.
BTW-On the 21st-22nd of this month is the Lyrid Meteor Shower, if you can find a low light polluted area you should be able to see some good shooting meteors, after midnight is best!

Posted on April 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM

#
The Lyrid Meteor shower peaks tonight and tomorrow night (April 20-21st) It is in the constellation Lyra and although this isn't as brilliant of a show as the August nights Perseid's Meteor shower, due to the lack of moon, it should produce some nice fireballs, and some good shooting stars. The Lyrids normally give about 10-20 meteors per hour, but they are also known for their uncommon surges of 100 per hour! Again, due to the new moon this is a really great time to check out a nice meteor shower. If you only glimpse one an hour, it's worth it. So if the skies are clear in your area check them out. Look to the constellation Lyra in the north-eastern sky above the brightest star in the constellation-Vega, and you just might see some pretty cool shooting stars! A little before midnight and after is the perfect time.

Posted on April 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

#
Damn! The clouds will hide all this from me tonight.

Posted on April 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM

#
Last night was sooo crazy! So my daughter and I are sitting in the backyard in our chairs, lookin up at the clear night sky when we suddenly notice crazy flashes of light over the mountains! Almost looks like lightening, but theres no clouds at all! These flashes continue for a couple hours-randomly. The meteor shower wasn't that great lastnight, but then! This morning I hear this like, sonic boom! And the house slightly shakes and now its all over the local news! No one knows what it was, some saw a green fireball in the sky when the sonic boom hit. Sometimes I love living here, the state of Area 51 and other supposed UFO sitings hehe. I honestly think it was most likely a meteor. But the flashes from the night before? Still unknown....

Posted on April 22, 2012 at 6:01 PM

#
It's a conspiracy! The government or the templars or some random toothpaste company is behind it!

Posted on April 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM

#
http://gizmodo.com/5904081/new-asteroid-mining-company-will-add-trillions-of-dollars-to-worlds-economy

Yep.

Posted on April 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

#
From the sonic boom and the explosion it caused I doubt there are many bits left of it. But good luck to them lol.

Posted on April 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM

#
Science Tumblrs - via Mashable

A couple of these relate to space. And have fantastic photos and newsclippings. I followed em all.

edited by Cados on April 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Posted on April 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM

#
...regarding that meteor that hit near where I live- http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/26/rush-on-to-find-fragments-of-california-meteor/?hpt=hp_t2

Posted on April 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM

#
Hey Guys! SPACE NEWS UPDATE!
This weekend May 20-21st An Annular Solar Eclipse will be crossing the sky, starting in China and ending in the northwest area of Texas. This years eclipse is special for many Americans since it rarely happens over the western hemisphere. At least it hasn't in a long time, I can't remember and I'm sure I could do some research and find out, but I'm too lazy lol. Anyway WHO CARES! It's happening now! lol
Here's more info: http://www.eclipse-chasers.com/tseNext.php?TSE=ase2012d

Best Cities to view Solar Eclipse-
Taipai
Hong Kong
Beijing
Osaka
Tokyo
Reno,NV
Carson City, NV
Santa Fe, NM

*Cities that may get some slight variation-
Los Angeles, CA
Anchorage, AK
Phoenix, AZ

Please remember if you are in these zones DO NOT LOOK UP AT THE ECLIPSE WITH YOUR NAKED EYE. (You have no idea how many people I see do this ><) Purchase a set of Solar sunglasses, they are very cheap and most cities that have the best views or a decent observatory will be selliing them. You can also purchase them online. :) I'll have pictures up after it happens!

Posted on May 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM

#
Isn't there a way to make solar sunglasses?

Posted on May 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM

#
First Previous Page 1 2 3 of 6 Next Last