Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Space! in Off-Topic

Yes, but the film is so cheap, it just as cheap to buy the sunglasses or board gaurds.

Posted on May 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

#
And here are my images for the Phases of the Eclipse this evening (May 20th). It was very nice!!!
PhasesoftheAnullarEclipse2012.jpg

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 5:11 AM

#
Last time an eclipse was visible from here I used my welding mask to watch it :/ I always heard that smoking a piece of glass will make enough of a filter to watch though

And here Is a pic of Jupiter's red spot just not to ruin the mood (I thought It was from Voyager 1 when I saved it but it's quite more recent apparently)
52VuX.jpg

I always get fascinated by the sheer size of other planetary weather phenomena.They make me feel so amazed and terrified °ω°

and remember ..In space no one can here you scream

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 6:23 AM

#
Yeah I read Welding masks work great! Yes the Giant red spot! I plan to get some good shots of that come winter time here!

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 6:31 AM

#
Odi, is... that... a ... real photograph? O.o it's... so beautiful. almost like a painting!!!

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

#
yup ^^ It's a photograph

But you have to remember that besides beautiful that little cyclon thingy is the size of the Earth :p so it's pretty damn scary too

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

#
Odi ^^ i know. im scared beyond reason

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM

#
So here's a couple images of the moon I took this evening, the Waxing Gibbous was really beautiful!

WaxingGibbous2.jpg

And here's a close-up of Mare Ibrium
MareIbrium.jpg

Posted on May 31, 2012 at 6:53 AM

#
wow! those are beautiful. what camera do you use?

Posted on May 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM

#
Believe it or not, these are actually from my camera phone, a little HTC 5 mp. lol I am currently interested in purchasing a Canon Ti, but I also want a 300mm lense with it, and it's around $900.00 so I have to wait on it. But for now, when I have the patience, I can take some decent images with my phone lol.

Posted on May 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM

#
o.o it sure doesn't look like a phone image. but when i think about it. my camera phone is decent as well. i ... just dont know how to use it :D

Posted on June 1, 2012 at 12:06 PM

#
The new Camera phones on smart phones are pretty nice, but I'd like to think this image is this good due to my telescope lol. You have to have a lot and I mean ALOT of patience to take a picture with a phone camera through a telescope, because getting it right is really difficult. I took about 25 shots to get only a few decent ones. lol

Posted on June 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

#
i can imagine. just looking through a telescope is rather difficult imo XD

Posted on June 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM

#
I dunno how many of you already know but there is a transit of Venus coming ^^

As per wikipedia
"will begin at 22:09 UTC on 5 June 2012, and will finish at 04:49 UTC on 6 June."

ZyIF1.png

Next one is at 2117 so don;t miss it

edited by Odi on June 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Posted on June 4, 2012 at 2:48 PM

#
What are you supposed to do to see this? Any special viewing equipment? What time, or is it all day in the given areas?

Posted on June 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM

#
You can use the same thing you used for the Solar Eclipse. Solar glasses or viewing cards. Or you can look up your local Astronomy group and if they're having a public telecope veiwing than you can go see it through a filter on a telescope. Astronomy clubs have many public veiwings, most times near or at Planetariums or Universities. They're fun because you can look through many different types of telescopes while there. Currently over 6 sunspots sit on the Earth-facing side of the sun, so it should add to the viewing of Venus moving across the sun. :)

Posted on June 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM

#
I suggest loking for a telescope aswell since it might be too hard to see the tiny venus with naked eye even with light protection :/ I myself plan to use one in the city planetarium since they rent them by the hour for very little money ^^

Posted on June 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM

#
I will have both, but it will be visible with the naked eye. It will look small even in a telescope. But please enjoy, it only happens every 100 years or so. So enjoy it, its a once in a lifetime event!

Posted on June 4, 2012 at 7:33 PM

#
So wait, will I go blind if I don't use protection?

Is the "transit" actually Venus passing in front of the sun?

Posted on June 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM

#
So wait, will I go blind if I don't use protection?

yes also your palms will get hairy if you do it alone Boy10.gif

..sorry that was lame but I couldn't resist orz It will be like staring at the sun and that can't be very good for your eyes
Is the "transit" actually Venus passing in front of the sun?

yup ^^ Its the same deal you get with a solar eclipse only instead of the moon covering the sun you get a really tiny Venus appearing like a black pimple on the shiny face of the sun
So enjoy it, its a once in a lifetime event!

Actually a twice in this lifetime since last one was during 2004 but yea,we are very lucky cause the one before that was during 188something and next in like another 100 years

On a side note you can also see mercury doing the same thing in 4 years but i belive that one is impossible without telescope :)

edited by Odi on June 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Posted on June 4, 2012 at 7:57 PM

#