Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Avatar: The Last Legend of Korra - Flying bisons are too cool to die. in Animation

First Previous Page 1 2 3 of 6 Next Last
ldYPk.jpg

Avatar: The Last Airbender and now The Legend of Korra are two series set in the same universe created by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, with the former title airing from 2005 to 2008. Since its debut, the series has captivated fans young and old with its broad sense of humor and compelling characters.

The premise of the Avatar world revolves around the art of “bending,” where certain people are capable of controlling the 4 natural elements - earth, water, fire, and air. One person is born into every generation who can control all 4 - the avatar, whose cosmic duty is to bring balance to a world constantly at odds with itself.

In Last Airbender, that avatar was Aang but in the new series which debuted in March 2012, it’s Korra.

The Avatar world continues now with Korra in this new show, the newest episodes of which you can watch at http://www.nick.com/videos/legend-of-korra-videos?navid=showNav if you’re in America. You’ll have to wait for your local stations to broadcast it elsewhere, otherwise. iTunes has had the first two episodes available for free for a while, but that deal may go away soon.

So here be a thread for us all to enjoy this new series and discuss it in relation to the old. Spoilers should be tagged, but only items from the newest episodes constitute as spoilers. Anything pertaining to the old series is old enough to discuss freely.

Note: Some of the information discussed here was discovered on this site: http://www.nick.com/games/legend-of-korra-welcome-to-republic-city.html
It's a bit like Pottermore if you're familiar with that. It reveals information about the city and world through scenes you can click and explore.

***RULE #1: Do not post any information gained from leaked episodes. Do not even watch them. Butthead.***

edited by Joshura on April 28, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

#
ACTUALLY the first two episodes were only on korranation.com for the weekend, so if you didn't watch them already you'll have to wait till April 14th suckers!!!

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

#
That is very upsetting! I wish I had seen them 10 times already.

I am a big fan so far.

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

#
Yeah, and the player they used was actually good! No lag, no ads, great quality! Right now, I'd have to say the first two episodes were better than the original. Pro-bending is great, and rare for an animated to show to make up a sport in such detail. It's begging to be a mini-game in the obviously-forthcoming video game.

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 3:29 PM

#
Yeah, and the player they used was actually good! No lag, no ads, great quality! Right now, I'd have to say the first two episodes were better than the original. Pro-bending is great, and rare for an animated to show to make up a sport in such detail. It's begging to be a mini-game in the obviously-forthcoming video game.
I'd argue the only reason these first two episodes are better is there's a much higher budget, and nick is giving them more leeway creatively.

The sport was pretty fun to watch though, I look forward to seeing more of that. Im also looking forward to seeing more of this setting. I wanna see shit loads of benders in three piece suits, wearing fedoras and ties just decimating shit.

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM

#
I'd argue the only reason these first two episodes are better is there's a much higher budget, and nick is giving them more leeway creatively.

The sport was pretty fun to watch though, I look forward to seeing more of that. Im also looking forward to seeing more of this setting. I wanna see shit loads of benders in three piece suits, wearing fedoras and ties just decimating shit.
You also have to factor it's better because they know who they are writing to now. But aside from the jump in quality, I believe it's better because both episodes gave us a glimpse into the world a bit more than the first series premiere. However, one thing that I'm liking as a change is Korra may not travel as much as our original troupe.

And yes, I want to see more benders in their new get-up as much as you.

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM

#
Yea, it definitely seems like things will be centered around fixing things in republic city, which means more focused plotlines.

Here's a slightly spoilery family tree btw:
SPOILERS
uoZ6G.jpg

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM

#
Ooooh! I can't wait to see this! I love this series!

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

#
you guys

TpBm3.png

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 11:49 PM

#
I noticed that.

I expected him to say: "MY GRAMOPHONES"

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM

#
I wonder if they're going to play off the Airbenders being nearly extinct. There are literally 4 of them left in the world. What would that do to the entire cycle if Airbenders were completely wiped out? Granted, they have another 2-1/2 centuries before it's their turn again, but still...that could be an interesting plot thread in this series.

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 1:45 AM

#
That would probably depend on exactly HOW bending is passed down, I suppose. So far we know it works like:

Airbender--->
+ =Air/water/notabender
Waterbender--->

But, maybe whatever triggers the airbender reaction travels down a few generations. So it could be:

Air---->
+ =notabender+???=???+???=Air/water/notabender
Water--->

I really doubt this is the case, because if that were the case it would be pretty impossible to wipe out the airbenders like they were. So that leaves tenzin and his children to spread the seed, unless Bumi and Kya are viable airbender-makers. It would be pretty tough to reform an entire race from four (maybe more if Tenzin puts his mind to it) people, but it's probably possible. The fact there are two women (I dont think the baby was female, cant remember though) kinda hurts the odds, if just because they cant procreate quite as quickly.

If the airbenders got wiped I assume it would be pretty bad news for the world. The avatar world seems to be held together by balance, and whenever that's upset, shit goes down. I guess it might be like removing a pillar from a four-pillared house, it could stand for a while but it'd fall at some point. I'd imagine the effects would be more prevalent on the spiritual side, since the magicy yin yang stuff in avatar seems pretty dependent on balance in the natural world. And I think the spirit world affects the physical world directly, and I think one of the way it affects it is through bending? (im not sure about this at all, don't quote me here) If that were the case, losing the airbenders could mean losing bending. This is all just supposition of course.

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 2:13 AM

#
Seems we need someone who knows about dominant and recessive genes.

I get the sense, though, that there's really very little science to it. Any of the kids has the potential to be a bender so long as their mother or father was. The type of bender depends on randomness. I bet it's possible for airbenders to show up somewhere in the world randomly with the justification that one of their ancestors was an airbender.

ALSO, at some point, people learned bending from animals/the moon. The genetics behind this are fairly wibbly wobbly.

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 2:21 AM

#
Eh, trying to insert way too much logic into something like this is fun. And it's easier to rationalize a situation when you compare it to something you already know. Though I dont know much about genetics...

I assumed what the dragons/badger moles/sky bison were doing was instructing people on the correct methods to harness their latent talent as a bender. It just seems odd that people would be locked into one school of bending like they are if there isn't an inborn reason to it.

edited by Mashira on March 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM

#
I think the lion turtle may have had something to do with it as well.

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM

#
That whole thing confused the shit out of me. I need to go back and rewatch the lion turtle episode, because I retained nothing whatsoever.

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM

#
When the series said bending was learned through observation of other animals, I figured it was linked with evolution. Which in a way makes sense, because we weren't ever told just one generation of humans discovered bending. It was something evolving over time, eventually leading to Aang's society before the Fire Nation began to attack.

It still doesn't answer how some people can't be benders, but it boils down to genetics. Would that make them a genetic default, and therefore a lesser-version of a human? I'm sure were gonna learn in Korra, considering this is part of the revolution in Republic City. However, Mashira's simplified answer could be it. Someone has a parent of both elements, therefore an equal chance in learning both but ultimately only one element can be yours (unless you're the Avatar).

In the case where all the airbenders died about, I'd imagine an interesting case would occur. That Avatar would naturally have to learn the bending. It's inside of them, they've learned it countless times - so it'd probably be easier. I'd imagine the spirit guide would help (like Roku giving hints on firebending, in a parallel case where firebenders didn't exist).

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 2:47 AM

#
What about the badger moles and that couple in the secret tunnel? They were basically the first earth benders, weren't they?

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 2:50 AM

#
Gah! Yeah, I think so... However it's been a while. So the badgers being the original earthbenders, in which they used their powers to walk around blind (I think?) and be able to see through the use of detection with the rocks. So I guess humans copied the process over time and evolved into something more.

...and that just sold me rewatching the original series this weekend.

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 2:53 AM

#
According to what has been said about the avatar state in the past it seems like it's possible for the avatar to just die. I'm betting this would be the case if there were no airbenders left alive when it came time for another airbender avatar, but it could just skip over to the water tribe I suppose.

I have a pretty strong feeling that without airbenders (or any of the other benders) the world would slowly decay.

Right now im just gonna assume bending is passed down like hair-color and leave it at that.

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 2:55 AM

#
First Previous Page 1 2 3 of 6 Next Last