Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Nintendo - Come for the Mario, stay for the... Mario. in Video Games

First Previous Page 1 2 3 of 3 Next Last
Dyvwp.jpg

Nintendo. Yeah, guys. It’s Nintendo.

Nintendo’s a Japanese gaming company with a long history of taking big steps on behalf of the gaming industry. Juxtaposed to this adventurous spirit is a general laziness towards freshness in their franchises.

Today’s Nintendo is an interesting mishmash of old and new, showing the best and worst of the Japanese game development scene to the world at large.

So what’s your favorite Nintendo game? Favorite console? What do you hope from the future of Nintendo? What do they need to become relevant in the “hardcore gaming” space again?

No fanboys! Okay, nevermind, yes, fanboys!

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

#
The WiiU. That is a topic I want to discuss, considering I was dead these past few months and never got a look if this had been discussed. What does everyone think about it? Does it look 'hardcore' enough for you? How about the general public?

To me, graphically it can compete (apparenly on levels slightly above PS3), but the tablet might not hold over well. Now, I haven't physically held the tablet/controller/mindreader in my hands but it seems clunky (like the 3DS with the Circle Pad). This is coming from a man who can't stand iPads because of how huge they are (I'd much prefer a laptop or Macbook). Another reason I'm questionable about the tablet is if it will good for children? Kids can hold a Wiimote - hell they can throw it into their televisions; but will they take kindly to this tablet? I'm sure they would be expensive and I don't know if parents would be willing to trust something like that in a child's hands.

What does have me really excited though is the promise of new installments of old IPs and even some new ones (Come on, Miyamoto! I know you have it in you!). Super Smash Bros. 4/Ultimate/Clash/Brawl2, which will also be on 3DS has me the most excited and it just entered development weeks ago. Oh, how I long for a teaser or full on cinematic trailer (Like the Brawl E3 2006 trailer, showcasing the main four and four new characters) at E3, or sometime this year. Obviously Zelda is something to look forward, but I doubt we'll hear of a new console game until next year's E3 at the soonest. A 3DS game on the level of OoT3D would be nice, and because of the aformentioned games existence shows us a full-scale 3D Zelda game is possible.

Oh, wow I typed a lot there, huh?

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 3:41 PM

#
My kneejerk reaction would be to say that im cautiously optimistic, but I think im just optimistic. If nintendo can actually get third party developers on-board and if they can overcome their apparent hatred of anything to do with online gaming, it could be good.

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM

#
Well, with advancing into DLC and completely revamping their WiFi gaming into 'Nintendo Network', I believe they are making sure to get it right. I'm optimistic as well and Nintendo has never had a problem with third-party developers.

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM

#
I'm excited to see more on the Wii U but I feel like I should just keep quiet until we get more details - at least it apparently comes out this year. What I'd really like to see is a brand new 3d zelda on 3ds more like the console games and less like the ds games.

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM

#
You dont see a lot of the "hit" multi-platform titles coming out on nintendo consoles.

This could have just be because when developing for the Wii you have to change like, everything in the game to accommodate. I have a feeling the same will be true of the WiiU though.

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM

#
Hopefully the multiplats will start appearing on the Wii U, now that the hardware is "up to date".

Posted on March 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

#
I'd really like to see that. I'd also really like to see the 3DS REALLY communicate with the WiiU. I want my friend to be able to play a game on his 3DS and have what he does impact the game im playing on my WiiU.

I really want to get one of those controllers in my hands, if it feels good I could really get behind this console.

Posted on March 31, 2012 at 1:51 AM

#
I wish I never got the Wii...
just saiyan

edited by Cados on March 31, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Posted on March 31, 2012 at 3:17 AM

#
Eh, I dont regret my purchase. It was worth it for the zelda and mario games at least.

Posted on March 31, 2012 at 3:20 AM

#
There is a new Paper Mario game coming out for the 3DS. Really looking forward to it since i loved the games for N64 and Gamecube.

Posted on March 31, 2012 at 11:43 AM

#
I wish I had a 3DS ;_; I haz no moneys :(

Posted on March 31, 2012 at 1:13 PM

#
There is a new Paper Mario game coming out for the 3DS. Really looking forward to it since i loved the games for N64 and Gamecube.
Oh man I know, I want this so bad. I need this.

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 4:22 AM

#
Hey guys check out the new google innovation Google Maps for Nintendo Entertainment System. They are breaking technological ground everyday.
pG44B.jpg

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 4:46 AM

#
I saw that earlier and had no idea it was a joke. I was like "oh man, cool new feature, good job google" and then went about my business.

Also check out this AMAZING new game hitting the 3DS:

http://www.1up.com/previews/nintendo-dubstep-experience-3d-reinvent

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

#
Well I really hope they have a solid Nintendo game at launch. But I have no clue what they could release at day one out of they're series? A Zelda game is out off the question but perhaps a Mario game. Been a while since Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

#
They have plenty of IP's they could use pretty easily; Earthbound, Pikmin, Kirby, Star Fox, etc. etc.

I'm not really worried about any of the games Nintendo is gonna make, so much as the games they wont make themselves. Wii ports were just... really bad. Even games designed FOR the Wii usually felt clunky and unwieldy. I would really like to see a N64 Vs. the PSX kinda thing going on here, where each is a viable console for hit titles.

Im still really skeptical about the controller though...

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

#
Well the controller isnt the problem. I think the problem is how third parties will use it. Will it be a half ass job like with the Wii? Or will they take some time and work around it and make the games run well with it?

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

#
I think the bigger issue is whether or not it will be worth the time of developers creating for multiple platforms. There's some promise in UI design, but other than that, there's no real use for traditional games. Will they tend to resort to adding the WiiU specific support last, or will they actually attempt to do something special with its UI possibilities?

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 7:40 AM

#
Im gonna assume they'll treat ports to the WiiU like ports to the PC.

Not very well.

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 7:48 AM

#
First Previous Page 1 2 3 of 3 Next Last