Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

The Legend of Zelda thread - Kooloo-limpah! in Video Games

First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last
AaNjI.jpg

The Legend of Zelda series’ first game of the same name was released in February of 1986. Since then, there have been many main series installments and a few spinoffs here and there. Each game tends to be characterized by its quality and world development. It’s loved by its fans, and it’s a popular topic among nerds!

Zelda has been the driving force behind a lot of my fandoms. Without it, I would not be here running a site today. That said, I’m not exactly happy with where it’s heading if Skyward Sword is any indication of the future. The games are still good, but there’s a definite need for some sort of big changes.

What do you want to see from the future of Zelda? How did you like Skyward sword? What’s your favorite game in the series?

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM

#
I have not yet completed Skyward Sword. I like it and find it easier than Twilight Princess which is good because I think Twilight Princess was way to hard. However after completing the three first areas it felt like getting thrown back to square one because you had to run around the same three areas one more time. That kind of killed my motivation a bit.

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 3:56 PM

#
SS had flaws, but I cant bring myself to really dislike it, not with its beautiful artstyle.

What do I want to see from the future of Zelda? I've been thinking about co-op possibilities for a while, and I think it could be pretty fun. Four Swords proved the Zelda formula isn't ruined by people playing it with you, so I dont see any reason why a WiiU Zelda couldn't feature co-op in the form of one person controlling Link, and another controlling a Midna or Fi character.

Also Tingle. I want more Tingle.
CLICK
dzDyn.jpg

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

#
Well the fly to a spot then jump down part bugged me a lot. Didn't feel Zelda like if u ask me. Felt more like Mario.

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

#
SS was great, imo. A happy, beautiful world. It was big-ish, and overall I didn't hate that there were only three areas aside from Skyloft for exploration. However, one thing the WW had over SS in terms of exploration... Aside from the Pumpkin Bar and the two mini-games all of the 'islands' were bare. WW had many islands, some small and some not that were optional and were just fun to search around. Also, sailing felt a lot better than flying to me.

I would venture to say SS was too happy. It didn't have that creepy, eery feel that Zelda's usually have. Majora's Mask was a great example of mixing that feel of being a child in a depressing world. Even though MM is about as dark as the series got as a whole (there were darker instances, but MM was overall depressing).

Posted on April 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM

#
I really didn't like the flying. I never really had fun while flying.

Majora's Mask was visually very interesting despite the fact it reused a lot of models from OoT, which really helped sell the eerie feel to the game.

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 1:29 AM

#
Yeah Majoras Mask had some of the most memorable moments in Zelda History. Felt like every NPC had a story to tell. Hopefully we will get a re release on the 3DS. Even though id like a original 3D Zelda game to be released before that.

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 7:42 AM

#
I gotta say Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are my two favorite Zelda games, although Ocarina of Time holds that special place in my heart as my first.

We need more games pushing the limitations of what it means to be a Zelda game like Wind Waker.

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 7:44 AM

#
Well I have nothing against WW. Not my favorite game but still a good game with a well written story. It had like Majoras Mask a lot off side quests which the later Zeldas kinda lacked if u ask me. More side questing for the ppl. TP ans SS felt a bit linear then other Zeldas. The best thing about the 2D Zelda games was the no helper part. This way u had to do all the thinking yourself.

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 8:19 AM

#
I've started playing Skyward sword again today. I'm in the middle of a pirate ship and I love it.

Posted on April 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

#
I think I'm gonna try and replay Majora's Mask soon. I'd really like to get a 3DS remake, but it's looking like that wont be happening for some time, I'm afraid.

Posted on April 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM

#
Well it seems like we will get a remake of alttp or a game thats rather similar to the concept of alttp. Id actually like to play a Zelda game without the sidekick.

Posted on April 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM

#
The sidekicks in the Zelda games I've played have been extremely annoying and very often not helpful when you want their help.

Posted on April 17, 2012 at 6:45 AM

#
blah! midna is the best thing to happen to a zelda have since cell shading. her inclusion opened up a level of character development no other zelda game has had.

Posted on April 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM

#
Well I always liked the feeling you get when you are all on youre own and you got to save the world. With a sidekick it kinda gets ohh im stuck lets ask my little helper for some advice. But i doubt they will dare to release a zelda without the sidekick. A lot of helpless nongamers wont buy the game if that happenes. Not like they will buy it anyway but we all know how much Nintendo likes the casual gamers.

Posted on April 18, 2012 at 7:01 AM

#
So, the last week and a half or so, I've been going through OoT 3D once more, only this time, I decided to finish the game with three hearts and no skulltulas, then collect all skulltulas, then all pieces of heart, then all heart containers. Allthough I never leave home without at least three fairies, this is the first time in a long while they've actually been useful, other than for a sense of security. It's amazing how dangerous iron knuckles become when they one-shot you.

I've discovered a few new things during (and right before) this playthrough, though. The first (and perhaps most important) was the existence of a second upgrade to bomb bag, deku sticks and deku nuts.

The second, two new ways to fill that gigant wallet in 10 seconds flat. 1) Enemies slain with light arrow will drop purple rupee. There are exceptions, at least the hammer-dude in front of forest temple, maybe others. 2) As an adult, go into lost woods, and take the first left. Slay skull kid with sword (took three swings with biggoron, some footwork required). He drops huge rupee (200). Go to neighboring room, repeat.

Third: There are exactly 5 gold skulltulas in each temple. Neat, huh?

I am ashamed to admit, though, that I did have to look up two skulltulas (bottom of lakeside laboratory, tree in Kakariko) and one piece of heart (grave with one redead) on the internet.

Edit: Also, an independent team has made a spoof trailer of Majora's Mask remake. This might be old news to some, but it looks truly amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdwT2pKYzY

Edit Edit: I meant to have this as one of the discoveries above, but when you have three hearts, shadow Link dies in like no time. I hit him twice with biggoron normal attack.

edited by Higure on November 2, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Posted on November 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM

#
Interesting! I didn't know about the Dark Link thing.

The guay in Lake Hylia drop 200 rupees when hit with a light arrow - I think it's an orange rupee, but I might be mixing that up with MM.

The bomb bag upgrades are always a pain in the butt because they require such precise timing with the bombchus and the stopping the guy... I've got the latter down pretty well, but I can never do bombchus without a million tries.

Also, if you're being proactive about your playthrough, it's always helpful to get at least 30 skulltulas and giant's wallet before you grow up - then complete the mask trading. The bunny hood guy will always fill your wallet, so this is the easiest way to get up there.

Posted on November 4, 2012 at 3:27 AM

#
I find the bombchu bowling a lot easier. I always hated stopping Darunia's son, cause it took like half an hour. And now I find out that if I stop Hot Rodder Goron I get a better bomb-bag. Dang.

Posted on November 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM

#
I am rather suprised that no one wrote this before me but....

WIND WAKER ON WII U !!!

Man I cant wait. Josh what do you think about this?

I personally finally have the feeling that my body is finally ready for a Wii U ^^

Posted on January 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM

#
I THINK YES.

But I also need to take a closer look at the screenshots. I'd expect an article on it soon.

It looks like they may not be doing "true" cel shading with the HD version, which is pretty much missing the point altogether. I'd rather use an emulator with an HD texture pack. Also, Gamecube controller is pretty much the best controller ever... and without that, I'm not so sure.

Then the new Zelda that "rethinks conventions" at least has its heart in the right place. Only time will tell if it actually goes the way it needs to.

Posted on January 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

#
First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last