Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

General Talk in 

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: 8192

Message: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead

Filename: plugins/modifier.capitalize.php

Line Number: 26

Off-Topic

An argument in favor of the use of the Internet, social media, and whatnot, from a guy who stopped using the Internet for a year:

\http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/1/4279674/im-still-here-back-online-after-a-year-without-the-internet

Posted on May 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM

#
An interesting read.

Posted on May 3, 2013 at 1:48 AM

#
Meh I can survive without the internet. I just don't want to!

Posted on May 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM

#
Classic sign of addiction, Cados: Denial. They all think they can quit, they "just don't want to right now" :P

Posted on May 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM

#
I don't know if that is really addiction...more so not wanting to get rid of a good thing :P

Posted on May 5, 2013 at 3:52 AM

#
Well, isn't that what addiction is all about? At some level not wanting to get rid of it. Of course, we don't use the word addiction unless there is a bad side to it, but our brains can't tell abstract nuances like that apart.

edited by Higure on May 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Posted on May 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM

#
...So does that mean I am addicted to life?

Posted on May 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM

#
That would be like saying you're addicted to breathing. I don't think essentials are treated quite the same.

Posted on May 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

#
I AM ADDICTED TO LIFE DO NOT QUESTION ME!

...but food is an essential and people are addicted to that :O

Posted on May 10, 2013 at 6:11 AM

#
I am addicted to breathing for it keeps me alive. I don't even think about breathing. That's how integrated into my life breathing is.

Posted on May 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

#
Food is an essential, but not too much of it. Too much food is not an essential. So there you go. And breathing is still an essential. If you really liked to hyperventilate into dizzyness or something, that would count, I think. Oxygen high for the win.

Posted on May 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

#
I am addicted to all of the above

Posted on May 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM

#
I'm not going to look it up, but isn't hyperventilating actually a lack of oxygen because you're breathing to fast and shallow to take any of it in? So it's a lack of oxygen high.

Posted on May 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM

#
Hyperventilation or overbreathing is the state of breathing faster or deeper than normal (hyperpnoea),[1] causing excessive expulsion of circulating carbon dioxide. This means that the arterial concentration of CO2 tension is falling (Paco2) below normal (35–45 mmHg) -Wikipedia

Posted on May 17, 2013 at 8:35 AM

#
so you don't get enough CO2?

Posted on May 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM

#
Well, CO2 is a waste chemical, so that's not quit right. However, the amount of CO2 in your blood does have an impact on the acidity of your blood. The feeling you get when you hold your breath, that urge to breathe, is actually CO2 levels rising, and with it acidity. Your brain monitors it, and tells you to stop holding your breath.

If you breathe deep and fast for a few seconds, though, I believe it's rather the rising oxygen levels that makes you light-headed. If you breathe pure oxygen it is actually quite powerful, and some quick googling seems to indicate that this is a major reason for oxygen tanks being present in ambulances. It gives you an actual high so that you won't panic so easily from whatever's happened to you.

Posted on May 18, 2013 at 8:20 AM

#
I know from experience when you hyperventilate your limps start to go numb/fall asleep. It seems like this would be an odd response to having too much oxygen in your system.

Posted on May 21, 2013 at 9:10 AM

#
Yesterday I purchased my first appliance!

I am now the proud owner of a bottom freezer refrigerator with an ice maker. You may all line up and take turns being jealous, I'm patient and will take the time to see you all.

In other, slightly related news. Carrying a fridge up 2 flights of stairs isn't all that fun...

Posted on May 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM

#
Awesome! Congrats, umm wheres the pictures? I would totally have a bottom freezer fridge but Lao doesn't like them. So we have a side by side style, but-we do have a water and ice machine in it haha!

Posted on May 26, 2013 at 3:55 AM

#
Grrrr. You've bested me with the water machine, but I have room for an entire shelf of bottled water now.

What's not to like about the bottom freezer style though? It's brilliant, you use the freezer less often, so put it on the bottom and you don't have to bend to use the fridge.

Pictures can be after I have the old fridge out of the house and done with, it's making my place look a bit crowded at the moment.

Posted on May 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM

#