Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Pony hatin? in Animation

Now i've literaly seen ponys EVERYWHERE on the internet, and it's driving me crazy!
Am i really the only one who are against ponys? i really think it's a little bit weird that grown people like that stuff?

Now, i'm no hater, but am i the only one that dislikes ponys? what do you people think?

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 7:01 PM

#
I don't hate it but I don't really understand the fandom at all. Maybe the animation is pretty crisp, but I know way too many grown men who are into the show. I can only equate it to if they retooled carebears or pound puppies..what's the draw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBxcGZa0Mmg

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM

#
Yea, i just want to know what people like about it?

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM

#
I moved this to the correct forum.

Im not a fan of the show or the slightly creepy community that sprung up around it, but it's not something I lose sleep over.

At the end of the day it's just a cartoon some people like, and like everything else some people take it way too far.

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 9:11 PM

#
My kid likes it. And I watch the show with her somtimes, but I mean I'm not a nut, I don't like write fanfiction about it or something lol. And the writing for the show is pretty darn good. Some men love to show their brony side lol

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM

#
Well, the animation is good, the storylines are usually pretty well thought out and it's relatively grown-up in terms of (moral) lessons. Plus, you have some pretty cool continuity for a cartoon. And, obviously, it lends itself well to internet memes.

Personally, I'd say it's not a show you should watch by yourself but rather with someone else, in sequence. Just go in with an open mind and I've found most people do find it quite endearing once they've gotten into it some, though it's understandably not to everyone's taste. Apart from overzealous fans however, I don't see how it is a bad show in any way that it'd be deserving of hate.

As to grown people being into the show, it's not aimed only at children. It's aimed at younger girls and their parents and it's certainly a far stretch from usual "girl cartoons". Can't really blame people being enthusiastic over things they like, but I agree, maybe some people are a bit pushy with the whole deal, but let me assure you.. they only mean well. xD

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM

#
I think it's decent enough, and I'd like to watch more eventually, but I wouldn't say that the animation is great. It's too much like an Internet cartoon in that it has a lot of Flash shortcuts like obvious motion and transform tweens in place of real animation work. A lot of decent cartoons these days use Flash, but not all of them resort to the shortcuts.

Posted on April 4, 2012 at 1:42 AM

#
I think it's decent enough, and I'd like to watch more eventually, but I wouldn't say that the animation is great. It's too much like an Internet cartoon in that it has a lot of Flash shortcuts like obvious motion and transform tweens in place of real animation work. A lot of decent cartoons these days use Flash, but not all of them resort to the shortcuts.

Flash is becoming much more common-place in animation these days, which is kind of a shame because there's just so much corner-cutting people tend to do. MLP is very obviously animated in flash, which does kinda detract from its quality, but I dont think many people are foaming at the mouth for the animation quality. If you want something that was animated in flash that manages to mask it a little better than MLP, try out Wakfu:

Posted on April 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM

#
Venture Bros, and most of Adult Swim is made in Flash. It's possible to do some good stuff with it.

edited by Joshura on April 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Posted on April 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM

#
Im not saying it's not, im saying it's way easier to make garbage. The quality decline in the Simpsons, or the animation in shows like Johnny Test is what im referring to. A lot of the time when making an animated show there's the idea that it'll just be aimed at children behind it, and kids don't really care about tweening, or stiff animation, so why bother putting money into it? Adventure Time does a good job of stylizing the characters to the point where they're both easy and fluid to animate.

the issue I have with flash is that there are more than a few animated shows going on now that look like they were made and animated by sixteen year-olds on Newgrounds.

You'd imagine with better technology, and simpler animation methods and a MUCH higher budget they'd be able to do some great things with their animations, but nope. And this is from an opening scene, something that airs every episode but they only have to animate once, and yet it STILL looks like it was rushed out of the studio to Korea. the problem isnt with flash, it's with the people directing its use.

edited by Mashira on April 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Posted on April 4, 2012 at 6:27 PM

#
I can't say that I find MLP particularly deficient in the animation department, flash or not. In fact, it's something that acts in favor of the show if anything, in my opinion. It feels crisp, fresh and not even commonplace. When I compare it to shows like Ren & Stimpy, I'd take it over that any day. D:

Then again, I'm not quite as deep into the subject matter as you guys either!

Posted on April 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM

#
Then again, I'm not quite as deep into the subject matter as you guys either!

That's an understatement. lol

Posted on April 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM

#

You must be logged in to post in the forums.