Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Costumes Costumes Costumes! in Creativity

First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last
Have you ever enjoyed dressing up? Have you ever wished for more times like Halloween? Have you ever dressed up as one of your favorite characters or created one of your very own? If none of these things-have you ever thought about doing this before? Thought about making your own costume?
Well here's the discussion thread folks! Costumes-Costumes-Costumes!

I wanna talk about costumes, making them, wearing them, who you become and where you go! Share pictures, share information, share adventures!

I will go first:

For the past few years I have been anually attending the Labyrinth of Jareth Masquerade in Los Angeles California. More info here: http://www.labyrinthofjarethmasquerade.com

I have also attended Private parties and Steampunk Conventions. I mostly create Steampunk/Victorian Costumes. But sometimes I create Anime or Video Game characters.

Here are a few images from shows I went to:
IMG_4092_small.jpg
Steampunk
steampunkassassin.jpg
Steampunk Assassin

This year I'm going Steampunk again for Labyrinth of Jareth, and next year I am going to attempt to either do my character from Skyrim or a Dragon Age Mage. Either one has it's difficulties, but I love making costumes they are fun and challenging!

So show away-what have you done? What are planning to do?

Posted on April 7, 2012 at 3:30 AM

#
Those are fantastic, sintar. I'm not a costume person, but I like looking at the clothes haha.

Posted on April 7, 2012 at 7:01 AM

#
That looks pretty damn impressive. I totally wouldn't be able to make my own costumes no matter how many tutorials I'd hit up on the internet, so nice job! It looks really good!

Posted on April 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

#
When I was younger I went to conventions quite frequently and while most of my friends cosplayed, I never had the skills or money to make/get outfits. I've had so many plans though :( I think this one was my favourite:

0jaAb.jpg

Yurine from Karas <3

Oh and me and one of my best friends have had a long standing plan to cosplay Hikaru and Kaoru from Ouran since we've been frequently told we resemble them personality wise quite a lot.. :D But even though that would be easy it's just not happened out of laziness, I think.

Posted on April 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

#
Let me know Nim-I know all the cheapy ways, that still make you look amazing! I could totally make that wig for you too!

Posted on April 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

#
Oh can you make wigs? That's awesome. I'll definitely let you know if the opportunity arises :)

Posted on April 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

#
I've only ever actually cosplayed once, though I've dressed up as other stuff on various occasions. I shall try to find pictures when I am less lazy.

Posted on April 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM

#
Im curious, how much work would it be to get a high-quality design onto a T-shirt myself? Or, are there any good online custom T-shirt dealies?

Posted on April 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

#
Im curious, how much work would it be to get a high-quality design onto a T-shirt myself? Or, are there any good online custom T-shirt dealies?

It's not much work at all! Or well, it depends on what kind of design I should say. If it's just a print It's easy. But on the other hand there ARE a lot of sites online that does that kind of thing and I don't think it costs that much.

Posted on April 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

#
Hmmm, I will look into doing this thing, then.

Posted on April 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM

#
When I was younger

I find this quite funny as I'm starting to feel the same way. Perhaps I'll keep from having to say the same and make a new costume of some sort for next year. Also, you're not so old as to say that!

Posted on April 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM

#
I'm starting preliminary work on a Bolin costume for New York ComicCon. Yay!

Posted on April 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

#
Elvis-Dape
S16XI.jpg

Three years old I think, but still~

Posted on April 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM

#
GREEN
FTjSF.jpg

Posted on April 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM

#
tumblr_lrn6bxsQbV1qhnutxo1_500.png

i'm actually having some trouble researching the attire for Bolin. Does anyone know what this type of jacket is called? Or perhaps you have some idea of what it's based on or inspired by?

edited by Joshura on April 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Posted on April 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM

#
It looks mostly like a a kungfu uniform/shirt. Also a Changshan, a very common Chinese male attire, however the yellow-colored breakup in the stitching is reminiscent of the female equivalent Qipao. Since this is a fantasy world, Bolin and Mako do not have to worry about their masculinity, it's just a design thing! There is also influence of a 'western' double breasted jacket, especially the collar. The second collar underneath, even looks like he is wearing yet another kungfu shirt underneath the kungfu jacket. Now this might be a stretch, but the belt-sash break up of the waist gives it a bit of a Japanese Gi look, however in many kungfu classes, they wear sashes to the side like Bolin is in the pic, so it's still way more Chinese.

Anyway, most likely all of this was completely influenced by a mashup of Eastern articles of clothing, and 'probably' doesn't exist in real life. Concept artists are usually given a blank character model and clothing reference, and are tasked with inventing new fantasy clothing. However, if you know how to sew, you can probably make something like that, you just have to figure out the collar portion.

bKVmR.png
I don't know why I made this.

Posted on April 15, 2012 at 8:31 PM

#
You made it because I love you.

The world of Avatar: TLA/LoK has a very developed sense of fashion, and I feel like every article of clothing is very real and very deliberate. In making a costume/cosplay of any character, particularly Bolin or Mako, I'd want to make a something that is a set of real clothing, rather than the smoke and mirrors costumes can sometimes be.

And although it's made up, it's just a lot easier to have a frame of reference when you're going about patterning it. Like, that squared shoulder is from a particular style, and I just don't have enough skill to eyeball it myself. I'm mostly worried about how the collar will attach to the rest of the shirt.

Qipao are so sexy.

edited by Joshura on April 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Posted on April 15, 2012 at 8:57 PM

#
GREEN
FTjSF.jpg

I love you, Greenman.

Posted on April 16, 2012 at 2:50 AM

#
It looks mostly like a a kungfu uniform/shirt. Also a Changshan, a very common Chinese male attire, however the yellow-colored breakup in the stitching is reminiscent of the female equivalent Qipao. Since this is a fantasy world, Bolin and Mako do not have to worry about their masculinity, it's just a design thing! There is also influence of a 'western' double breasted jacket, especially the collar. The second collar underneath, even looks like he is wearing yet another kungfu shirt underneath the kungfu jacket. Now this might be a stretch, but the belt-sash break up of the waist gives it a bit of a Japanese Gi look, however in many kungfu classes, they wear sashes to the side like Bolin is in the pic, so it's still way more Chinese.

Anyway, most likely all of this was completely influenced by a mashup of Eastern articles of clothing, and 'probably' doesn't exist in real life. Concept artists are usually given a blank character model and clothing reference, and are tasked with inventing new fantasy clothing. However, if you know how to sew, you can probably make something like that, you just have to figure out the collar portion.

bKVmR.png
I don't know why I made this.

The second picture, the guy sitting in blue, where'd you find that? Source me, I want to add that to my clothing inspiration pics :O

Posted on April 16, 2012 at 5:02 AM

#
It's called a changshan, so you can find it and similar images all over Google :D

Posted on April 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM

#
First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last