Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Recipes for sweets and foods! in Creativity

First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last
I don't mind tasting stuff, but as someone in a swedish channel said on IRC, "Why would I drink something I disliked the first time more than once?" which holds some truth in it depending on how you see it.

That's very Dionysian, while being very un-Dionysian, of you.
Also, easy whoopie pies; you can make the pies out of any flavor cake mix you like, I've done chocolate and lemon, as those are my favorites:

Pies:
Cake mix
3 eggs
½ C water
½ C veggie oil

Filling:

2 sticks of butter, softened (I did one softened stick of butter with ½ C of non-hydrogenated veggie shortening, it's a little healthier)
3-4 C powdered sugar, or less--your preference (less is mine)
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (my oven runs hot, so I had to lower it to 350, so check and make sure)

In a mixer (or with an electric mixer, or with a whisk), combine cake mix, eggs, water and oil. Whip together for 2-3 minutes.

On a parchment paper or Silpat lined baking sheet, scoop out batter into round mounds. You can use an ice cream scoop, sorbet scoop, or a spoon if you don’t have either of those

Bake for 8 minutes

For the icing, whip together butter and sugar (start with 3 cups of powdered sugar, then add more if necessary for thickness). Whip for 5 minutes until light and fluffy (the extra time makes all the difference!). Scoop into a pastry bag, or a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off, and pipe onto the inside of the bottom pies. Place top pies.. on top!

edited by Militia on May 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Posted on May 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM

#
I came to love beer because of Shawshank Redemption.
Quote:
We sat and drank with the sun on our shoulders and felt like free men. Hell, we could have been tarring the roof of one of our own houses. We were the lords of all creation. As for Andy - he spent that break hunkered in the shade, a strange little smile on his face, watching us drink his beer.

When I studied in Japan the second time, about 4 years ago, I lived at a restaurant that served beer. I'd come home from a long, hot day of school, tired and thirsty. The nicest experience imaginable in that state is that feeling of relaxation coupled with brisk masculinity that I get from drinking that beer after a particularly long day.

After a few beers like that, I started to refine my tastes. When I turned 21, I ordered a Guinness with my dad thinking "beer of beers!" still knowing I had never really liked beer before... I took one sip and was like NOPE. Now, it's my comfort drink. Any red or brown ale, really, does the job.
That sounds truly delightful. Unfortunately, I can't drink like I used to because of the weird Asian flush thing; it has gotten worse as I have grown older. And I learned that drinking often, regularly, with this condition can raise my risk of developing esophageal cancer. So, no effing bueno. I drink very seldom, now. But I still enjoy what I can when I do! I am also a fan of amber ales and the like. But I found myself very surprised when I learned that I REALLY like Sam Adam's Alpine Spring brew. It is so smooth and citrusy and bright, holy mother. There are very few lightly-colored beers I enjoy, but that and a locally-brewed summer ginger beer, are the only two I really like.

Posted on May 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM

#
Those Oreo Cakesters - are those whoopie pies?

These:
OrEo.jpg

...They're called "Soft Oreos" in Japan and they taste so much better.

Posted on May 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

#
Those Oreo Cakesters - are those whoopie pies?

These:
OrEo.jpg

...They're called "Soft Oreos" in Japan and they taste so much better.
They are... but I don't like to think of them that way. Makes me sad. Homemade whoopie pies are so much better, like a lot of other homemade things. Even with the cake mix, it's better. Store sweets are just too sweet for me. I'm sure they taste better over there than here.

Posted on May 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM

#
I've never used cake mix, probably due to mom saying "it's all chemicals, beh!" but I've used bread mix before!
but aren't most cakemixes quite, hm, liquidish than between-dough-and-not-dough or does the eggs fix that? o.<

As for mudcake here it is!
Ce31x.jpg

Mudcaek

Ingredients

100 g butter
2 eggs
1,5 dl* (100 g) sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
3 tablespoons cacao
2 dl (120 g) flour

Otherstuff:
one form with removable edge, or simply a form that can handle oven~time
and is about 20-23cm in diameter

*dl is short for deciliter, but I included the grams for it in case.

How to:

Put the oven to 175 C

Melt the butter either on the stove or in a microwave (you can do this
right before you have to use it too) then let it cool off.

beat the eggs and sugar fluffy with an electric handmixer

Add the vanilla sugar and cacao and mix with the lowest speed.

Add the flour, mix, and then lastly the melted butter. Mix until it's smooth.

Put the paste in a round form - you can "grease it in" and use "breadcrumbs" if you want,
that way it will be easier to remove from the form when taking a piece.

Bake in 175 C for about 20min in the middle of the oven. If you want a
stickyier cake, bake it shorter (this really depends on your oven thou, so if you want
- stick a fork or something in it and check the stickyness).

Take it out and let it cool of a bit, and either put it in the fridge until its cold
or simply let it be cool.

You can decorate with powdered sugar and eat it with whipped cream.

Posted on May 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM

#
Baking mixes are generally just the dry ingredients, sometimes even the liquid ingredients made into dry. You generally only ever add vegetable oil, eggs, water, and/or milk depending on the recipe. So, a cake mix would be mostly flour and sugar, but it might also have some vanilla flavoring, cocoa powder, or something else of that sort.

It's nice.

Posted on May 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM

#
That looks so good! I want to lick the monitor.. ;_; Are you eating in the dark? What are you, some kind of cake vampire? Anyway, you can make your own mix, of course, from cake flour, baking powder, sugar, cocoa, all that good stuff. But if you do cave in and use a cake mix-- of which there are safe, organic varieties, too-- the eggs, and measurements for oil and water that I included make the batter the perfect consistency. You basically just buy the mix, and ignore what it says on the box and substitute my measurements.

Posted on May 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

#
Baking mixes are generally just the dry ingredients, sometimes even the liquid ingredients made into dry. You generally only ever add vegetable oil, eggs, water, and/or milk depending on the recipe. So, a cake mix would be mostly flour and sugar, but it might also have some vanilla flavoring, cocoa powder, or something else of that sort.

It's nice.
On an unrelated note, I feel like we are walking through a virtual park together today, looking about at things and responding to them in kind, because of our responses to things within the forum.

edited by Militia on May 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Posted on May 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM

#
That looks so good! I want to lick the monitor.. ;_; Are you eating in the dark? What are you, some kind of cake vampire? Anyway, you can make your own mix, of course, from cake flour, baking powder, sugar, cocoa, all that good stuff. But if you do cave in and use a cake mix-- of which there are safe, organic varieties, too-- the eggs, and measurements for oil and water that I included make the batter the perfect consistency. You basically just buy the mix, and ignore what it says on the box and substitute my measurements.

Haha nawh, eating in the dark can be nice thou, if movie time :P Just got a very sucky camera mostly~

Cake mixes sounds more convinent now than before, still feel like it's on the "lazy side" but could cause I'm used making stuff from scratch

Posted on May 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM

#
First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last

You must be logged in to post in the forums.