Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Artwork Critique in Creativity

First Previous Page 1 2 3 of 3 Next Last
For people that want some critique on their artwork! I'm going to assume everyone here will be nice about it, so i'm not going to worry about posting any rules besides...you know...don't be a jackass and respect others works, read artist comments, all that Jazz. (People on DeviantArt and Tumblr really piss me off XD;)

Yay Critiques! :D

Posted on April 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM

#
Ok so I am thinking about changing colors a bit on one of my characters, and I would like to know people's opinions :)

Original colors
lJhHM.jpg

New Colors
dy8YW.jpg

The character (Jax) is a dragon that uses electricity, and I just thought the teal and gold/yellow might fit better...it just seems more electric-y than green and green-yellow.
I also changed the scar on the second one, I've always kind of had an issue with nose scars because they don't seem very realistic...and it's been bugging me for a while. I figure he got cut with wire or something that just kinda dug into his skin...either that or a brand-like scar. Haven't really figured out how he got it yet -_- Sometimes characters just don't want to give up their information.

( In the end the choice is up to a friend of mine, but i'd like to know what others think about it :3 )

edited by Jax on April 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Posted on April 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM

#
I prefer the new colors, myself. It does seem to fit better with electricity, but is there a reason why those colors are so saturated? Electricity is vivid, but it isn't so richly colored. Of course, I am taking artistic liberties into consideration-- I know being literal isn't always fun-- but I am just curious.

Posted on April 24, 2012 at 1:30 AM

#
Oh my! I just noticed that those colors are similar to the blue and gold on the website. Nyuck, nyuck.

EDIT: Ack! Sorry for the double post. I forgot to just edit the initial comment. -_-

edited by Militia on April 24, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Posted on April 24, 2012 at 1:31 AM

#
I prefer the new colors, myself. It does seem to fit better with electricity, but is there a reason why those colors are so saturated? Electricity is vivid, but it isn't so richly colored. Of course, I am taking artistic liberties into consideration-- I know being literal isn't always fun-- but I am just curious.
Well its just the base colors, but I guess I do use saturated colors. I try to be a bit less...saturated-y...mostly with clothes but...I guess I just like bright colors XD; I am a horrible artist, if I can even call myself that.

...The colors on this website? ...*looks around* wow I didn't even notice that! XD

Posted on April 24, 2012 at 2:08 AM

#
Shush Jax, you are totally an artist. Theres no wrong way to draw or color. I prefer your original colors myself. But both look good!

Posted on April 24, 2012 at 2:12 AM

#
I prefer the old ones as well because I don't like the contrast between the teal and yellow so much. ^^

Posted on April 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM

#
The new colors look better to me...

Posted on April 24, 2012 at 2:51 PM

#
I prefer the original colour as it is, but I'd prefer the new colours if they were less saturated!

Posted on April 24, 2012 at 4:43 PM

#
I too prefer the new colors, although I feel like they don't necessarily go with the red eyes as well. The blue and yellow are complementing each other rather well, I think, but the starkness of the red distracts from that a bit. The darker blue and yellow also makes it seem as though his skin is paler.

Posted on April 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM

#
Josh- yeah that's a big problem I have with the new one, the red eyes not matching that is. Paler is good, because he is dead! XD

After talking to my friend I think I am going to play with some more colors. She prefers the original because the eyes really don't fit the other very well. SO...more color playing! Thanks for the input, and I am aware of the saturation being very high and i'm sorry for burning your retinas XD Although It has been noted! Because I have been noticing most character sheets in animes and cartoons are never fully saturated...I should probably re-examine all of my character colors.

I just....freaking LOVE BRIGHT COLORS ESPECIALLY NEON OMG NEON WHY U SO PRETTY!?

Thanks, and again, Thanks!

I put some more color samples up on one of my tumblr sites.

http://lovelylittledipshits.tumblr.com/post/21765165626/ok-so-i-made-some-more-color-samples-and-heres

edited by Jax on April 25, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Posted on April 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM

#
Hey, guys! Thanks for the topic, Jax! Your character is awesome :)

I'm currently working on a piece that I'd like to get some opinions on. My concern right now is the composition. I'm worried that it might be a little crowded but at the same time I'd like to preserve the focus being low. I'd love opinions on anything else too! Thanks, everyone!

sw3Dq.png

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 1:48 AM

#
It does kind of seem like the dragon is right in her face, but maybe its because i don't really know what size the dragon's head would be. I have no idea how that would be fixed or if it's even a real problem. It's just kind of hard to tell the differences among back/middle/foreground

edited by Joshura on April 29, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 1:51 AM

#
He's pretty big - like stegosaurus big with a meatier head. I might reduce it since it was smaller originally. Josh brought up a good point offline also: Should I remove that back leg? Does it seem awkward?

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM

#
I just wonder what that dragon would look like in profile, or in any other pose. I can't really tell what the shape of his body would be.

You probably already have a very clear idea of his body shape, it just seems like it's unique enough that I don't necessarily *see* it right away.

edited by Joshura on April 29, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM

#
I would really love to see the look on that little girls face Tsao. Interesting picture, and yes the leg looks a little awkward, maybe move it into the body more, tho I do understand the huge dragon is trying to make his way through the thick of the trees to have some tea.

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 2:21 AM

#
I tried to draw out the way the dragon would be seen from the side. He's a bit on the bulky side. I think the unusual leg appearance is that he's sort of straddling the tree? I think it might be best if I sort of fade it out or cover it up.

Ulafi.jpg

edited by TsaoShin on April 29, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM

#
Great progress so far Tsao, though it's in early stages. I know you have great personal direction with your work, so I feel like there's not much I can add. Overall composition and perspective is definitely looking good, my eyes flow through the picture well. One thing, I feel a bit distracted by a tangent on the left side of the image, where the edge of the dragon's body is suddenly cropped off. The hind leg is looking strange, as you pointed out, but you can fix that later while painting. I do find it it is missing it's left dragon arm, even if you can suggest a shoulder blade or something similar anatomically. The image can also benefit from some specks of light smacking against more of the background, out of focus areas on its back. But I'm sure you will know what to do with all this as you work on it. It'll be great, you know your craft and this is your playground.

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM

#
What if you make the tree next to him bigger? And the part that he has his tail wrapped around make it a low branch on the tree. That would hide that leg. Looks awesome!

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM

#
Cados: I'm glad you mentioned the left side of the image where it seems cut off. That's been really bugging me. I'm going to see if I can push the canvas around and try to get more of him back into the frame. Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone!

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 3:06 AM

#
First Previous Page 1 2 3 of 3 Next Last