Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Your name in Japanese! Whoa! in 

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: 8192

Message: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead

Filename: plugins/modifier.capitalize.php

Line Number: 26

Off-Topic

So the J in Jonas is pronounced like a Y?

Posted on May 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

#
yes, in sweden, it is ^^ we use the same letters, but that doesn't mean we pronounce them all the same.
the O we use is more like a dragged out W and/or "OO" (in too), but with a deeper timbre. really hard to explain :P

so, with that in mind.. I'd spell Jonas Loman more like ... Ywnass Lwmann ... pronunciation wise ;D

edited by Plato on May 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Posted on May 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM

#
劉詩淳?
Sunny Danger Liu?

Posted on May 20, 2012 at 1:25 AM

#
Larissa
Tessa
Erin
Jennifer
Tressa

my friends saw this and want theirs done XD

Tell your friends to make their own posts >:O

Larissa-

ラリサ ー rarisa
"rah ree sah" (the Japanese r is somewhere between an r and an l - sometimes it sounds like a rolled r in Spanish)

乱離 【らり】 (n,adj-na) (abbr) being scattered in all directions; being broken up and dispersed
矢(P); 箭 【や(P); さ(ok)】 (n) arrow;
差 【さ】 (n,n-suf) difference; variation;

So, let's see... it looks like the "sa" pronunciation of arrow is rather unusual, so that would be a wary choice, but the meaning would be neat. Here are your options:

乱離矢 - which roughly might be interpreted to mean "arrows scattered in all directions," but don't try to confirm this with a Japanese person. They will go crosseyed.
乱離差 - which could roughly mean "differences scattered in all directions" or "differences broken up and dispersed..." Uh... yeah!

This is not a perfect process, and oftentimes you get something that only means what you want it to mean sometimes. A Japanese person will rarely be able to read your kanji as intended by this process, but if you explained to them why you have the kanji you do, they'd be like "ohhhh, that!"

I'd be happy to do your friends' names, too, but I don't have time right now! It would actually be easier to get through them all if they signed up :P

Here they are in the simplest form:
Tessa: テサ - tesa - teh sah
Erin: エリン - erin - eh reen
Jennifer: ジェニファー - jenifaa - jeh nee faa
Tressa: トレサ - toresa - toh reh sah

:O woah...my name IS cool! thanks dude! my friends ...im not even sure if they even know how to use forums <.< >.>

and SatchmoBGW- Thanks for these! :D

Posted on May 20, 2012 at 4:30 AM

#
Time to show off what 6 months of japanese taught me...

(O-di-sse-a-su) オディッセアス

Now respecting japanese as I do,I am a bit annoyed by the fact that they (and most other languages) do not use grammatical cases -.-

Now not to turn boring explaining grammar I'll just say that if someone was to be calling me the last shouldn't exist (Ohayō gozaimasu,Odissea-san) unlike when someone mentions me or should I be introducing myself (Hajimemashite.Odisseasu desu)

I don't like imposing our weirdo grammar on diffrent language speakers but it's a small compromise I ask so that I don't have an urge to break into laughing everytime someone calls me...

Other than that,PP you should feel lucky you don't have to explain that to ppl XD

[Edit] Now if someone feels like finding kanji to my name feel free :p I am not very good with kanji memorising ~.~

edited by Odi on May 20, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Posted on May 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM

#
Other than that,PP you should feel lucky you don't have to explain that to ppl XD

But D: I'd like to be able to have a more complicated name D: Oh well ;-;

And also, rly, how do they find kanjis for names? I always thought it was a random choice. Pick some random and put them in a name and done! xD First time I heard there's actually a method to it!

Posted on May 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

#
ヨナスロマン ー yonasu roman

yoh nah su - ro mah n

世(P); 代(P) 【よ(yo)】 (n) world; society; age; generation;
夜 【よる(P); よ(yo)】 (n-adv,n-t) evening; night;
四(P); 4 【し(shi); よん(yon); よ(yo)】 (num) four; (P)
茄子(P); 茄 【なす(nasu); なすび(茄子)(nasubi)】 (n) eggplant (Solanum melongena); aubergine;
浪漫; 浪曼 【ろうまん(roman); ロマン(P); ローマン】 (n) (1) romance (i.e. Arthurian romances) (fre: roman); (2) novel; (3) romance;

四茄 浪漫 - First two characters are your first name, second two are your last name. This would mean "FOUR EGGPLANTS - Romance."

I like it.

alternatively, swap out the first character for 夜 or 世 to get "night eggplant" or "world eggplant"

If you're not a fan of eggplant, here's some characters for na and su

儺 【な(na)】 (n) (arch) (See 追儺) (ceremony of) driving out evil spirits
巣(P); 栖 【す(su)】 (n) (1) nest; rookery; breeding place; hive; (2) den; (3) haunt; (4) (spider's) web;
州; 洲 【す(su)】 (n) sandbank; sandbar

Here you might have...

世儺巣 or 夜儺巣 - the den of driving out evil spirits of the world (or night, if you use the second) Your last name is still best as 浪漫

I like 夜儺巣 浪漫 the best. Altogether, "the story of the den of driving out the evil spirits of the night"

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM

#
劉詩淳?
Sunny Danger Liu?

劉 can remain as "Liu," since it's one of the readings of the kanji.

Your name would be:

サニー デインジャー リュウ ー sani− deinja− ryuu

Your Chinese name would be pronounced in Japanese as "Ryuu Shijun," and by their meaning:
劉 : weapon of war; logging axe; kill en masse; peeling (paint off a wall, etc); sparse; faded
詩 : poem; poetry
淳 : pure

I can get you some different kanji if you'd like? There's a lot of variants for "Ryuu," and the inja in Deinja- is neat (隠者 hermit)

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM

#
(O-di-sse-a-su) オディッセアス

汚泥 【おでい】 (n) dirty mud
瀬(P); 湍 【せ】 (n) (1) (ant: 淵) shallows; shoal; (2) rapids; current; torrent; (3) (See 立つ瀬) position; place; (4) chance; opportunity;
背(P); 脊 【せ】 (n) (1) back; spine; (2) reverse; rear side; (3) height; (4) ridge (of a mountain);
諾 【お; う; せ】 (int) (arch) yes; all right; OK; okay
明日 【あした(P); あす(P); みょうにち(P)】 (n-t) tomorrow;

I'll let you interpret that as you please, since you know Japanese well enough. I like 汚泥瀬明日 - roughly, the muddy rapids of tomorrow. I know it's not very glamorous, but hey, not all names can be awesome. Maybe Casey would have better luck?

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM

#
オディッセアス eh? Hmm.

雄弟世明日 (オデセアス) - The Future of Masculinity (Wouldn't ever fly as an official name, but I like the ring to it. Plus if you can infer such a meaning from it, its quite the badass name.)

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

#
オディッセアス eh? Hmm.

雄弟世明日 (オデセアス) - The Future of Masculinity (Wouldn't ever fly as an official name, but I like the ring to it. Plus if you can infer such a meaning from it, its quite the badass name.)

I'msry but I have to laugh at that XDDDD The future of masculinity XDDDD Aww, that's gonna make women expect a lot from a man~!

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM

#
well at least gives me more chance than "Born to be hated" no?

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM

#

Your name didn't mean that anyway! But yeah, that does give you a start I guess xD

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

#

Your name didn't mean that anyway! But yeah, that does give you a start I guess xD

<.< Το Οδυσσέας προέρχεται εκ του "ὀδύσσομαι" που θα πεί "μισώ".Το όνομα λοιπόν όπερ μεθερμηνευόμενον εστί "Αυτός που υπάρχει για να μισείτε και να μισεί"

now go refresh your greek nub

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM

#

<.< Το Οδυσσέας προέρχεται εκ του "ὀδύσσομαι" που θα πεί "μισώ".Το όνομα λοιπόν όπερ μεθερμηνευόμενον εστί "Αυτός που υπάρχει για να μισείτε και να μισεί"

now go refresh your greek nub

Ohh you meant that! WELL WE WERE TALKING ABT KANJI! Thought you meant there was a meaning like that xD Ki ennoeis "μισείται" oxi "μισείτε" cause I don't think they are talking on first person here! xD
But yeah, definitely a better meaning!
*searches own name to be sure* You know, I knew my name has hebrew roots but apparently it may have egyptian as well! Well in hebrew I'm the rising star in the dawn! And in egyptian strong, fruitful and fertile! xD So I'm good either way :3 "Δυναμική, φρόνιμη, εντυπωσιακή, γλυκιά, πρόσχαρη." lol... xD
And I'm stoping it cause it kinda got out of hand!
And also for the 3rd time, noone actually answered me how they actually find kanjis for a name! Thought you guys would be more useful than google /o\

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

#
A TON OF STUFF

and...

And also for the 3rd time, noone actually answered me how they actually find kanjis for a name! Thought you guys would be more useful than google /o\

It's pretty simple. We break down the name into Japanese syllables, then we search for words that match up with those syllables on a Japanese dictionary. If we're really doing our jobs correctly, we'd look at kanji specifically to figure out their individual pronunciations and meanings, but it's much easier to find existing words out of fragments of names and then string them together. Generally speaking, there's almost always a word for any one syllable.

When I list kanji and meanings, I'm just pasting the dictionary entry for a given word and its associated pronunciations. Then I string those words together in order according to the person's name.

Sometimes you get lucky and can find something somewhat close or identical to the name in pronunciation, but laden with real meaning.

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM

#
i think i prefer the "the story of the den of driving out the evil spirits of the night" one too. with added Roman, Desu!

coolers, thanks josh! =D

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM

#
Justin Moore.

Posted on May 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

#
PP wrote:

If you're just looking for kanji your best bet is something like jisho.org, it has a good list which is divided into both everyday use and name kanji, as well as readings. I've honestly just been typing a part of the name in, then selecting a kanji that comes up that I think works well. I don't think any of mine are stand alone words, but then again neither are most names in Japanese.

edited by Joshura on May 22, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Posted on May 22, 2012 at 1:25 AM

#
Ohhh o: And I rly thought kanji were a random selection for a name! Thank you both! And I'll keep that site in mind, satchmo :D

Posted on May 22, 2012 at 5:47 AM

#