Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

TV Show Recommendations - one per person per post! in 

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: 8192

Message: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead

Filename: plugins/modifier.capitalize.php

Line Number: 26

TV & Movies

First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last
What? Oh, right, yeah. YEAH. TV SHOWS.

The cool thing about TV shows is that they don't need to appear on TV any more. There's countless ways to watch these beasts - online, DVD, downloaded, sometimes illegally... But let's support every one of the shows we love!

This is a thread for you to recommend your favorite shows to other members - with a CATCH!

You may only recommend ONE SHOW per week post. You will have to think long and hard about your one show - that one show you would recommend above all others, that one show you think other people would benefit from seeing. These things tend to be rather long, after all, so catching up on something is no small undertaking. And then, next week post, give us the other show you couldn't not say.

You can get around this rule by commenting on another person's recommendation. If you like the same show someone else does, tell us why! Maybe there's more you could say to get people on board. Or, just say you like it! Those shows that the most people like will end up in a list in this post, in order of the number of people recommending it.

Try to provide an image and a brief description of the show with your post - it's not mandatory, but it's generally helpful.

Once this thread has finished covering the basics, we'll open up the rules a bit!

THE LIST:
    Sherlock (3)
    Game of Thrones (3)
    Scrubs (2)
    Trailer Park Boys (2)
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Parks and Recreation
    Jekyll
    Suits
    Jim Henson's The Storyteller
    Arrested Development
    Chopped
    Metalocolypse
    todd & the book of pure evil

edited by Joshura on February 12, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Posted on May 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

#
w8oAH.jpg

Scrubs
Scrubs is my favorite comedy show (after Simpsons, but Jokex called that one before I even had a chance), so this is definitely going to be my first recommendation. Eight seasons of pure comedy gold and a ninth season that should be disregarded. A lot of slap-stick humor, but Scrubs also has some amazing dramatic moments interspersed between the laughs.

I'm sure most of you have already seen it, but those of you who haven't, you have 169 episodes of quality television ahead of you. Go watch~

Posted on May 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM

#
I was a pretty big fan of Scrubs when it was airing, to the tune of having seen every episode more than three times.

At times it can feel corny, and other times aggravating, but most of the time, it's good for a laugh. There's some really heavy moments, too, but everything serves your getting to know the characters better. I can't think of many other traditional sitcoms I like as much as this one, either.

Posted on May 29, 2012 at 9:56 PM

#
1O6gX.jpg

Game of Thrones is the best fantasy TV series I've ever seen. In fact, I think it's probably the best fantasy I've seen on screen after Lord of the Rings. It's extremely violent, there is at least one sex scene per episode and it's filled with intricate politics and story lines that you really need to pay attention to follow. I'm personally not a big fan of gore and I feel the sex scenes are unnecessary half the time (although it's gotten better the second season), but despite that I do love it. It's dark as hell and it feels like everything keeps going wrong for all likeable characters, but all the while there is a slight glimmer of hope on the horizon which pulls you through. It's intense!

Posted on May 30, 2012 at 10:18 AM

#
Ex6Qq.jpg
Sherlock is a BBC adaptation of the famous detective stories about Sherlock Holmes. Set in 21st century London Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson solve crimes when the police gets stuck. Great characters that you'll love, intriguing mysteries and cliffhangers will get you through the two seasons in no time at all. And the best part is, season 3 is coming.

Posted on May 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM

#
There seems to big quite a big craze going on about game of thrones these days :/ I Have no idea what it is about yet or even if its aired here but i guess I'll give it a shot

Now to keep on topic..

aNP53.jpg

It has been some time since i watched this but I quite liked it.Well made series only 6 episodes long and James Nesbitt making faces that scared the breath out of me.The ending was a bit dissapointing but creates opportunities for more media to come (hopefully).Nevertheless the series as it stands is quite enjoyable so watch it ..maybe?

Posted on May 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM

#
There seems to big quite a big craze going on about game of thrones these days :/ I Have no idea what it is about yet or even if its aired here but i guess I'll give it a shot

Now to keep on topic..

Don't worry, that's on topic.

I can double recommend Sherlock - definitely one of the best, most cinematic TV experiences out there. It's one of those rare shows that's driven by both the characters and the plot, and it's all sorts of great.

Posted on May 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM

#
can't think of anything right now beside stressing Game of Thrones again... it's just so good, words can't describe it. WATCH IT NOW!

Posted on May 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM

#
TomHtumblr_lgpawqfFwH1qfvfevo1_500.gif
Parks and Recreation

If there's any one show I would recommend before all others, it's this one. Right now, at least.

The first season is slow. Don't give up on it, or just skip that season - nothing really important happens. The second season is even a bit slow, but it gets better and better as it continues. By the end of the second season, it's achieved gold status as a show, and from then on, it's this amazingly hilarious and endearing mockumentary-esque sitcom. Every character is worth a few laughs, many are worth a lot more.

Rob Lowe is LITERALLY. the most beautiful man in THE. WORLD.

Posted on May 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM

#
Having watched Game of Thrones and Sherlock, I can attest to the fact that they're both excellent and strong shows! Game of Thrones probably needs little further praise, but the BBC's Sherlock Holmes reimagining I'd say is definitely superior to the recent TV movies (obviously less stunning visually, but making up for it with stronger stories and content).

6fxYR.png
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Alright, having just finished watching that a couple of days ago, I've had an extremely good time watching it! It's a quirky 30-minute sitcom that's different from most of the comedy out there. What's it about, you ask? It follows the constant schemes of "the Gang", a group of friends who run a shoddy Irish Bar in Philadelphia. Oh, and none of them is a good guy, they're pretty much all arrogant, delusional jerks that are often enough their own worst enemies.

While the first season might start a bit slow, it improves with every season and has rightly earned the cult status it currently enjoys, I find.

Posted on June 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

#
While the first season might start a bit slow, it improves with every season and has rightly earned the cult status it currently enjoys, I find.

I had never been told the first season was slow... maybe it's time to give that another shot!

edited by Joshura on June 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Posted on June 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM

#
Well, Danny DeVito only joins in the second season, and at about 12 or so episodes a season a 30 minutes each it's not really a huge time investment! :)

Posted on June 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM

#
2ogXU.jpg
Trailer Park Boys is a show about living in a trailer park. It is raunchy, weird, low-brow, and hilarious. Watch this shit.

Posted on June 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM

#
I definitely would have to double this recommendation, though I've not seen all the Trailer Park Boys content out there. It's so stupid sometimes, but I tend to laugh, so that's really great.

Posted on June 6, 2012 at 2:53 PM

#
HEY! You guys can give another recommendation now!

Here's mine!

vfQ6t.jpg

Although there is a sequel series currently airing, Legend of Korra, the original is still a magnificent set of stories. Great characters, great stories, and great animation - this show is just genuinely high quality, and often hilarious.

Posted on June 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM

#
8p6Nf.jpg

Suits ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1632701/ )

This show is stunningly good.. BuddyTV even rated this series the second best new show of 2011. After GoT ofc..

Suits is an amazing legal show with talented actors and with a smart and funny script. As one of the reviewers on imdb wrote;
"However, in this little gem, everything is exactly right. The script matches funny and serious, silly and smart, everything at exactly the right amounts. The actors act well. Watching this show is a generally enjoyable experience ... I would recommend this to anyone who likes 'House MD', 'How I Met Your Mother' and other series that are often watched to feel better after a long day."

Summary
While running from a drug deal gone bad, Mike Ross (Patrick J. Adams), a brilliant young college-dropout, slips into a job interview with one of New York City's best legal closers, Harvey Specter (Gabriel Macht). Tired of cookie-cutter law school grads, Harvey takes a gamble by hiring Mike on the spot after he recognizes his raw talent and photographic memory. Mike and Harvey are a winning team. Even though Mike is a genius, he still has a lot to learn about law. And while Harvey may seem like an emotionless, cold-blooded shark, Mike's sympathy and concern for their cases and clients will help remind Harvey why he went into law in the first place. Mike's other allies in the office include the firm's best paralegal Rachel (Meghan Markle) and Harvey's no-nonsense assistant Donna (Sarah Rafferty) to help him serve justice. Proving to be an irrepressible duo and invaluable to the practice, Mike and Harvey must keep their secret from everyone including managing partner Jessica (Gina Torres) and Harvey's arch nemesis Louis (Rick Hoffman), who seems intent on making Mike's life as difficult as possible.

This show is so daaaaaaaaaaamn good o.o ... I wished I had more, more, more and more to watch! xD
I watched through first season and up to date in season 2 within 3 days :P.. And now it's on break till january next year.... *sad* ;_;

I highly recommend everyone to watch this masterpiece, nuff' said :3

Posted on August 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM

#
You know, I've seen the name of the show around before, but never really recognized that it was supposed to be great. I guess I'll have to give it a shot!

Posted on August 24, 2012 at 2:39 PM

#
mChRA.jpg

I'm gonna go oldschool here and suggest "Jim Henson's The Storyteller." Each episode focuses on an old world fairy tale concerning such things as heartless giants, treasure hoarding gryphons, and contradictory trolls. Also it stars John Hurt. John Effing Hurt. PLUS it was made by the fucking Jim Henson Company, with effects that stand the test of time surprisingly well. There's only seven or eight episodes, sadly, but I feel it makes great bedtime viewing. I must have watched each episode at least four or five times over the past two years. You can catch this shiz-nazz on Netflix.

Posted on August 25, 2012 at 6:54 AM

#
chopped.jpg

I like a show on the Food Network (here in the states) called "Chopped". New episodes are on Thursdays 10/9central.

It's a show about 4 contestants that compete for Chopped Champion, there are 3 rounds: Appetizer|Entree|Desert
Each round 1 person is eliminated. (Hence the name of the show).
Each round the contestants have a basket full of mystery ingredients and they have to create something with those ingredients. Its pretty fun because sometimes, well no actually all the time the ingredients in that basket are frickin nuts, and sometimes it's stuff I've never even heard of. And things in combination that don't really go together. All or most of the contestants have a backround as a Chef or Personal Chef and the competition can get fiesty. So check it out, you might like it. ^_^

Posted on August 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

#
Just finished rewatching one of my all time favorite series:

arrested-new.jpg

This is definitely one of the best written comedies of all time. There's a level of subtlety on top of straight up well delivered stuff. Even my dad likes this show.

It's coming back, soon, as a movie, and some episodes following it.

Posted on August 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

#
First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last