Bosskey

Register |
Forgot password?

Group Story Numero Uno in Creativity

So, the idea is that we'll take turns writing chapters to some kind of story. If you want to be a part of it, say so here.

We'll wait a few days to see who wants in, I guess people can join in after we start too but if they join before they can decide what genre it should be and probably some basic plan of what it should be about.

Do you have any thoughts, opinions or questions on this, don't be shy.

Writers so far:
Tacko
Mashira
Dape
Joshura
E

I'd vote for something not that serious and I would prefer it to be either Sci-fi or Fantasy. I'd rather write original fiction than fanfiction and I think having forum members as characters is a bad idea. Note that these are just my opinions and I will of course go with what the majority wishes.

edited by Tacko on August 18, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Posted on July 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM

#
I would like to participate in this, too!

The idea of original characters is a good one. On the same token, I think each writer should have domain over his/her own characters. If we're telling a unified story, we could maybe have a master-storyteller who writes as narrator (a narrator that lives within the story, even!), providing context and plot for other writers.

For example, this master storyteller could be a bard looking at the story in retrospect. This bard would write "a foul tide fell upon the land, and all news pointed to Mordor as its source." He'd be descriptive with the context that would unify other writers in their efforts. One person would write the perspective of the hobbits with the one ring, another person would write the perspective of Gollum, another could write Gandalf. That sort of thing.

Of course, it would be an original tale!

If it's not obvious, my vote is for fantasy. We could even take that a step further and use an existing, open universe like D&D or something for the establishment of key locations and such. Otherwise, we'd have to do a lot of communal planning to come up with locations, races, etc, which, maybe isn't so bad.

Posted on July 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM

#
I'd vote for Sci-Fi I think, but we DO need something to help tie everything together. I'm not sure if having a constant narrator would be a good idea though. But I think Sci-Fi would be cool if just because it would be that much easier for everyone to do their own thing with their stories. Maybe the first person who goes should write about some sort of threat, or event that's about to impact the setting and everyone just works off of that.

Posted on July 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM

#
So, we need Odi and E in here, too, eh.

Posted on July 25, 2012 at 4:44 AM

#
One option would be to make a sci-fi/fantasy version of earth as our universe. It would have the advantage that everyone is sort of familiar with the geography.

Posted on July 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM

#
But I think Sci-Fi would be cool if just because it would be that much easier for everyone to do their own thing with their stories.

Do you mean because we have SPACE SHIPS and can exist in separate areas and still interact freely?

Posted on July 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM

#
Josh and I discussed what genre to make in IRC, I'll try to sum up what was said here:

Sci-fi:
I do not want interstellar travelling
We want something that makes travelling difficult because right now I could make it to any major city in the world within 48 hours if I had the money. writing about one long journey with a distant goal becomes hard if you can do that.
Post-apocalyptic?

Fantasy:
Using our own universe or someone else's?
Races? Just humans? Standard fantasy races? Any weird races you can come up with? I feel like just humans would be boring. Josh likes standard races.
Magic? would it be common, rare? POWERFUL or weak? easy or troublesome to use?

Posted on July 25, 2012 at 8:36 PM

#
Magic that's powerful should also be extremely rare, and that could become a focal point for our story.

I think an equally important decision will be what conflict to pursue, i.e.

We're stuck with an external conflict due to the nature of our story, though your own characters can pursue internal and relational conflicts easily.

The following are some of the possibilities.

man vs nature
—survival story
man vs technology
—robot overlords
—arms race
—harnessing technology
man vs the supernatural
—supernatural overlords
—pursuit of superhumanism
—harnessing magic
man vs man
—damn the external forces, we're at war with some guy
—more relationally speaking, we could be at odds with each other

Posted on July 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM

#
HEY. Mashira and Dape. We need your input. Just tell us what kind of story you want to write, and we'll make something work.

Posted on July 31, 2012 at 5:17 PM

#
Well, I was more or less taking a backseat on this discussion, because I'm fine with whatever. And I think it would be fun to have to write under a premise that I did not decide myself. Fun as in challenging or whatever.

Posted on July 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM

#
Hey! We should decide on the setting as soon as possible. I'm going to give you one more day to decide and after that we'll vote about stuff. Also, if anyone else wants to join before we start, now is a good time.

Posted on August 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

#
This definitely sounds like fun ^^ I'll gladly join in if it's still possible!

I liked the idea of original characters and a fantasy/scifi universe, and I'm pretty much fine with anything you guys come up with :D My only wish is that it wouldn't be a total fantasy world (like an overly magical world with the story centering on dragonslaying or some pure fantasy stuff) but for example a fantasy world with some elements from our reality, or the other way around :D So maybe our universe with some magic elements might be nice? I'm still fine with it if you choose to do this another way :)

edited by E on August 17, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Posted on August 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM

#
Since it seems to stand between Sci-fi or Fantasy, let's start with voting about that.

Post your preference and We'll narrow stuff down even more in a few days.

All ties will be resolved by a die. Oh, I vote for Science Fiction!

Posted on August 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM

#
I vote science fiction with fantasy-inspired races.

Posted on August 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM

#
Guess I'll vote for sci-fi.

Posted on August 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

#
Sci-fi it is!

Now, to specify stuff.

Should there be space travelling, interstellar, interplanetary or not at all?

Should there be aliens?

Should there be fantasy races?

Should there be robots?

Should we use a future earth for geographical references?

Posted on August 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM

#
I have so many conflicting ideas going into this, I wish somebody could just say OKAY THIS IS IT.

I think my strongest preference would be for something similar to Cowboy Bebop, with limited planetary travel between space stations and things like that. Maybe a light hyper-drive system between Mars and Earth.

Posted on August 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

#
Keep it confined to one....let's say solar system. Interplanetary travel should be possible, but very very limited. In a book series I read about 5 or 6 years ago they had the ability to teleport throughout the universe, but the energy and material consumption generally costed more than it was worth.

I say aliens, robots, and fantasy races should be left up to the author in question. My only preference here is that whatever we end up doing doesn't turn into 40K (SPACE ORCS SPACE ELVES SPACE PALADINS SPACE LICHES.)

It MIGHT be a good idea to move away from our corner of the universe to open up the possibilities a bit. I'd suggest that someone take the reins and write up a galaxy/solar system/whatever.

Posted on August 25, 2012 at 6:43 AM

#
I vote for no interstellar travelling. It does not matter to me whether or not there are aliens or elves and stuff. I think that there should be robots and that they should have no real rights i.e they should be viewed as tools/slaves/whatever by most people. I want to use earth.

Posted on August 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM

#
I think I'm hesitant to use aliens for the same reason Tacko is hesitant to leave earth. With established races, we have a more easily accessible common ground to share as writers.

Posted on August 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM

#

You must be logged in to post in the forums.