Register |
Forgot password?

What are you reading? in Off-Topic

First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last

This thread is for sharing the book you're currently reading!

Let's get to it!

Posted on July 31, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I just ordered Nation, a book that I've been promised is the best book ever. So yeah, looking forward to that. Should arrive early next week.

On the manga side, I'm reading Angel Densetsu, a pretty entertaining story that does demand a bit of suspension of disbelief due to all the coincidences that happen throughout the life of Kitano. But still, entertaining.

Posted on July 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I just read The Hobbit, and am almost done with Fellowship of the Ring. I've read both before, but very very long ago.

Next, of course, is The Two Towers, which I've never read!

After I've finished with as much Lord of the Rings material as I can handle, I'll go back to Hitchhiker's Guide.

I liked Nation a lot, Dape, I hope you'll enjoy it, too.

edited by Joshura on July 31, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Posted on July 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I am reading the original Wonderful Wizard of Oz and then hopefully I can get the rest of the collection and read all of them as well :3

Posted on July 31, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Uhm, YES! Great thread topic! I am currently reading The Lost Continent: Travels In Small-Town America by the brilliant, quippy, charming Bill Bryson. Afterwards I shall be reading a decidedly more sullen and serious angle on the American Dream called Drown, by Junot Diaz. I was reading The Hobbit, but then I moved and then I forgot about it? I dunno. I will get back to it soon, I imagine.

edited by Militia on August 1, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Posted on August 1, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Jax- Is the book really different from the movie?

Militia- THE HOBBIT. It's really great.

Posted on August 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Catching Fire. It is really great. You are wrong, Josh.

Then I think I'm gonna read Mockingjay and after that I might re-read The Old Man and the Sea.

Posted on August 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I liked it up to a point.

Then I hated it. Then I thought "Oh, it can't get worse, right?" NOPE IT CAN.

Posted on August 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I agree with Josh here. After the first book, it all went downhill. I did like the first book though. I really liked it. But the second was bad.

Posted on August 3, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Josh- It is quite a bit different than the movie. Same basic plot, but a lot was changed and cut out in the movie.

Posted on August 3, 2012 at 6:33 AM

I'll get back to you when I've finished the book.

Posted on August 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM

So I read Mockingjay. That book was really great. The ending was perfect. You should all read it.

Now I'm going to write about my thoughts on the second and third book and most likely spoil the shit out of everything; thus you should stop reading now if you don't want to know everything that happens.

The second book started really great, I liked how Katniss tried to get on with her life and basically everything up to the Quarter Quell. After the complete breakdown after the announcement of the Quell you hardly noticed any of the traumas that had such a huge part of her life in the beginning of the book. I'm disappointed that they went into the games and found it a bit odd that no one told Katniss and Peeta about the plan to break out.

I really like how 13 were not super many happy fun time, that they in fact were only less bad compared to the Capitol. I didn't really like Peeta's change although it was very much better than if he'd returned completely fine. I found the ending PERFECT, there's not a thing about it that I would change. While I preferred Gale over Peeta that changed in the third book as you saw how merciless Gale could be and while I never really liked Peeta I'm still happy that they ended up together.

One final thing that I liked about the books is that amongst the surviving characters the only one I really liked was Haymitch. The's a nice, trustworthy guy kind of like. I think many other characters were great, I just think that they were assholes.

Posted on August 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I've recently read Graceling, and almost finished Fire by Kristin Cashore. They're both wonderful books with a thing that is missing from most other books, at least that I have read: a strong female main character.

Of course, I almost put Graceling down when I turned the first page and saw a map over the land called "The seven kingdoms". I am just so tired of sword and sorcery fantasy books being filled with politics. Turns out that it wasn't too much of it, and I loved the story.

Fire is good too, and although it is strictly speaking a prequel, should be read after Graceling for spoiler related reasons. There is a bit more politics, but by then I was so into the world that I didn't give much of a damn.

Posted on August 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I finished Drown a few days ago. It was much more mesmerizing and unsettling than I thought it would be; I'm glad I read it. The dialogue wasn't framed in quotations marks, which could come off as being gimmicky, but it flowed naturally and added to the book quite a bit, in my opinion. Anyway, I have picked up The Hobbit again and am nearly finished. I don't know if I will finally read Children of Dune (which I've had in my possession for six years and still haven't read) next, or Lolita, which I avoided reading through art school because of reasons but now feel inclined to peek at.

Posted on August 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Yay Hobbit! You should totally re-read all of LotR again so I have someone else fresh off it to talk to :D

Posted on August 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I finished The Old Man and the Sea today and started A Game of Thrones.

Posted on August 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Yay Hobbit! You should totally re-read all of LotR again so I have someone else fresh off it to talk to :D

That's a good idea, Josh. I'll try to go through them in a more timely manner than with my last few books. I've gotten into the habit of reading only when I am waiting for my work to call me in the small hours of the morning.

Posted on August 25, 2012 at 1:21 AM

It's a really heavy series of books, but there's a lot of great moments.

I just got to the part in Return of the King where Merry and Pippin are reunited for the first time, and it's like super... good...

Posted on August 25, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I'm reading a bunch of books that Sunny and Stel got me for my birthday.

Also I just read this short story by Neil Gaiman:

Posted on August 25, 2012 at 6:35 AM

I just finished Good Omens. It is co-written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, and is the story of how the world ends. Next saturday. From the satanic hell-hound Dog, Worrier of Cats to the fantastic depiction of the four horsemen, I really loved it.

I should reread LotR too... Haven't read them since the movies came out. Been a while, and I was young.

edited by Higure on September 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Posted on September 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM

First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last