Register |
Forgot password?

What are you reading? in Off-Topic

First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last
I'll be finishing the Silmarillion this weekend.

I see what people have said about this book, and it's mostly true. It's long, and a little boring, and definitely dry. But, where I find the greatest joy is in the little details. I'm constantly flipping back and forth to the appendix to see the family trees and double check names, so I really have a full idea of the history of these people.

There's two exceptions to the dryness, in the chapters "Of Beren and Luthien," and "Of Turin Turambar." The former of these chapters is among Tolkien's best writing, where he discusses the first union of elf and man, and it's such a beautiful story with really great characters... it's like a story from the proper series all bottled into this particularly lengthy chapter. That story, I think, is one of the more relevant to the greater mythos, and certainly worth reading apart from the other context.

Of Turin Turambar is Tolkien's strongest attempt at a tragedy, wherein incest, betrayal, star-crossedness, and all this heavy stuff falls on this one guy. It's a really great story for a tragic hero, and is as well written as the other notable chapter.

I believe there's a few more chapters like these two yet to come, discussing the far more pertinent specifics of Sauron's master and such.

It's a good read! I am not really sure where I'll go from here.

Posted on September 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM

A Clash of Kings

I like these books.

Posted on September 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Sherlock Holmes!

All of it, I guess!

But first, Chrono Trigger.

Posted on October 8, 2012 at 4:05 AM

i am in the process of finishing up what there is of game of thrones. then after that...well once i finish a couple comics i am reading, i will be reading Hunter S. Thompson's novel The Curse of Lono. I have been looking for a non coffee table version of the book for years...well book hunting...i could have gotten it off amazon but hunting is more fun. anyway my girl got it for me for christmas and i am super excited to read it. then after that World War Z and then Name of the Wind

Posted on January 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Name of the Wind is the first Kingkiller book, right? I've heard a lot of things about that, most good.

"Harry Potter for grown-ups"

Posted on January 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I'm reading A Feast for Crows now. :D

Posted on January 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Ah The Song of Fire and Ice series eh? The first two books were really good. They kind of dragged for me after that. Feast for Crows I remember certain parts being really interesting, especially regarding Arya. Her story is pretty cool. And the Stark story too.
So many shocking deaths and lines cut in those books. You never wanted to get too attached to characters. lol

I'm reading Ever After by Kim Harrison!! Whoohoo-which crazy for me, is the 11th book in the series=awesome!

Posted on January 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I am reading Jekyll and Hyde :3

Posted on January 26, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Oh god, I posted about Sherlock Holmes last October... I'm still reading through that! I need a new book.

What should I start next: Song of Ice and Fire, Kingkiller, Dresden Files, or none of the above?

Posted on April 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I've only read the Song of Ice and Fire-but if the other series have an actual ending, you might want to go with those first, since Ice and Fire is unfinished right now. But its a good read. :)

Posted on April 3, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Dresden Files is in wait for book 15, and no ending in sight. But the books themselves are awesome if you can handle the withdrawal symptoms.

Posted on April 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

First Previous Page 1 2 of 2 Next Last

You must be logged in to post in the forums.